• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simplified Methylation Protocol Revised as of Today

Hi there,
Hoping someone can weigh in. I am very, very sick with brain and spine affected. I have started and restarted methylation protocols and always wind up with major potassium issues. Currently I'm taking 3-4000mcg of mb12 and approx 2000mcg of methylfolate trying to get going plus all other cofactors. I induce immediate paradoxical folate issues. Last night I tried going up to 4000mcg of methylfolate trying to get out of it. Potassium needs just can't keep up. I'm taking 20 meq RX potassium multiple times, foods, and drinks all day long. Is this just a vicious circle for me? I really want help, but I feel like I can't get past it. Any thoughts? I feel like I'm just starting healing and not making true progress. Is there any point to keep going if I can't get past it?

Eastman

@Nikki7

Sorry to see you still struggling.

I'm afraid that, since my last responses to you (here and here), I am still not clear what your potassium deficiency symptoms are.

I hope you are also getting professional help as brain and spine pain sounds serious.

In the meantime, I hope you are taking a comprehensive range of B vitamins and not just B12 and methylfolate, since several of the B vitamins have been shown to help in relieving chronic pain.

@Nikki7

Sorry to see you still struggling.

I'm afraid that, since my last responses to you (here and here), I am still not clear what your potassium deficiency symptoms are.

I hope you are also getting professional help as brain and spine pain sounds serious.

In the meantime, I hope you are taking a comprehensive range of B vitamins and not just B12 and methylfolate, since several of the B vitamins have been shown to help in relieving chronic pain.
@Eastman
My potassium symptoms are muscle cramps and extreme bouts of weakness (can hardly move) after taking mb12 and mfolate. I also take b complex and cofactors. I mean I could hit the floor kind of weak. I think I am super b12/folate deficient and would like to build it up. I have sought help from neurologists, but it has been useless so far. We've not found a doctor yet who will recognize the issues of CFS/ME locally. All blood work comes back looking good to them. I just wish we could find a way to increase the needed vitamins and help the potassium need.

Eastman

@Eastman
My potassium symptoms are muscle cramps and extreme bouts of weakness (can hardly move) after taking mb12 and mfolate.

Those are typical symptoms of potassium deficiency. But they can also be symptoms of excess potassium, so you have to be careful. I usually use heart symptoms to provide additional guidance.

I also take b complex and cofactors.

Including magnesium, I presume. Of the B vitamins, B1 and B6 may be particularly useful for nerve pain, according to the study I previously posted.

I have sought help from neurologists, but it has been useless so far. We've not found a doctor yet who will recognize the issues of CFS/ME locally. All blood work comes back looking good to them.

An all-too-common experience, unfortunately.

I just wish we could find a way to increase the needed vitamins and help the potassium need.

Taurine is said to help with keeping potassium and magnesium in cells and maintaining the normal functioning of skeletal muscle.

Those are typical symptoms of potassium deficiency. But they can also be symptoms of excess potassium, so you have to be careful. I usually use heart symptoms to provide additional guidance.

Including magnesium, I presume. Of the B vitamins, B1 and B6 may be particularly useful for nerve pain, according to the study I previously posted.

An all-too-common experience, unfortunately.

Taurine is said to help with keeping potassium and magnesium in cells and maintaining the normal functioning of skeletal muscle.

Thank you @Eastman...I'll definitely try the taurine.