1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Simplified Methylation Protocol Revised as of Today

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by richvank, Mar 30, 2011.

1. AVA

AVA

Well Update, I stopped the supplements.......and learned that the Gelatin Capsules are an issue for me.....as is anything with Glutamate. The taurine may also be an issue. Apparently the receptors are so sensitive that even eating High Glutamate foods such as Black, or Pinto Beans, Tuna is enough to put me in a stoned, wired, foggy, agitated, state, thinking clearly is an issue when in a acute state of Glutamate exposure. This is not so noticeable to others, but I sure feel it, and I do look stressed & or out of it to those who know me.

I had a CBC blood test, and Postassium, calcium levels...etc THS, and inflammation test, EKG, all normal which is not a surprise. I think the urine tests is the the thing but, Kaiser will not respect my input. Anyhow.....this Glutamate issue is life changing, eliminating so many foods. I still am not satisfied with how this occurred.... Prior to the ingestion of Fola Pro.....I di not have an issue eating tuna, mayonaise, beans,...etc. This will remain somewhat mysterious till Genetic testing done. Has anyone done the 23me Test?
    I gather that MethylCobalamin would a very bad idea now....though had been helpful before the Fola Pro. Is 23 & Me adequate or is it necessary to do Amy Yasko's testing?
  2. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I also have a hard time pinpointing which foods/supplements are causing my symptoms It might actually be the sulphur in Taurine that's causing the problems. An easy way to test it is to empty out the capsules in water and take the Taurine that way. The sulphur intolerance can be caused by methylation in which more sulfur intermediates will drain down the transsulfuration pathway. Also, when you take molybdenum, you convert sulfite to sulfate more rapidly, raising the sulfate concentration in your blood, some of which is transported into the gut.
    Methylation can make you more sensitive to a lot of things. It's probably a good idea that you've backed off things until you figure out what's going on.
  3. AVA

AVA

Yes, indeed there is much that is newly occurring...Pre-Fola Pro I had no issues with Sulphur, or really anything but the peripheral neuropathy. I did eat some food today from Chipotle and did not have resurgence of symptoms. The strange headache, stoned, burning sensation brow/eyelid area....Neuropathy type of burn? I did see a Chinese Doctor/Professor who based on reading my pulse/meridians stated that I am very weak, there is inflammation in my system, liver, stomach, heart, intestine all weak and too much heat in my system. Energy weak. Chinese terms to describe condition. He suggested increase omega 3's, Vitamin D3, & to take Zinc. Gave me customized herbal formula. The first dosage I took, with in 60 seconds I felt my head. Sensation of energy moving...very surprising and first time experiencing such a response. I have several years of experience with Chinese Herbal medicine under this particular doctor....and this was a first.

Laying off the supplements other than omega 3's & Vitamin D3, Magnesium. Faced with the necessity of having the genetic test done. 23andMe ...has anyone done the test and how were you able to use it for insight into what specific supplements and dosages were appropriate and safe?
  4. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    I also had to back off the majority of my supplements, I have improved in function but still ache all over and other symps. But the brain fog has almost disappeared (except after eating sometimes). I suspect one of my supplements was causing me trubs I ust dont know which. Still on Mentanx, D3, CoQ10 daily. The rest are occasionally. I really feel impact when I take my protein shake (spirutein, Lcarnatine, fish oil, lglutamine, dribose, cinnamon/cloves).
  5. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    I've taken 23andMe, not sure what to do with the results, in the research phase other than knowng the methylation cycle SNPs. I researched Codiene on SNPedia tonight since I know I have a violent reaction 20-30 mins after taking any kind of Codiene. Problem is I am getting confused by all the info (orientation/alleles), the more I read the less I seem to understand. Very tired, I can only have 4 hrs sleep in prep for EEG and MRI tomorrow. Sadly, these tests are being done when I am functioning more, wish they were done when I can barely function. I'm just tired of the game
  6. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Metanx is very highly dosed, and would certainly cause problems (pain, hyperstimulation, insomnia, anxiety, irritability, increased inflammation) for many of us, me included. If you take the prescribed 2 doses daily, you're getting 4mg mb12, 6mg mthf, and 70mg p5p. Way too much in my opinion.
    roxie60 and Lotus97 like this.
  7. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    I take one Mentanx a day. I had nor heard about others having issues w/ Mentanx, wonder if I should stop it again for a week to see if I feel better. I had actually started feeling a bit better before tis week, now back to same ol same ol. I will search Mentanx and see what others have said, thanks for the feedback. Never thot that might be an issue since we know I am MTHFR positive.
  8. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I've heard that some people doing Fredd's protocol start at a low dose of B12 and Folate and then gradually increase it. I'd like to hear from people doing Rich's protocol if they've had similar experiences.
  9. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    iHerb has free international shipping for orders over $40
  10. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I've heard people having good results with Anabol Naturals' Dibencoplex ADB12. It's a capsule, but some people are emptying out part of the capsule into their lower gum and lip to absorb it sublingually. I do know of at least one person who has had success taking it orally. It's 10,000 mcg per capsule so some people might need to start out with only a portion of the capsule.
  11. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I remember reading about MSM which a sulphur substance being good for detoxification. Is there some connection between that and what Rich said? Would it be useful to take MSM and possible other sulphur supplements along with a methylation protocol?
  12. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Yes I use iherb, but I'm in the UK, so for any order over £15 you have to pay UK customs charges. Also, when I was looking a while ago for the products Rich was talking about they weren't available at iherb. They may be now of course.
  13. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    There are other brands of folinic acid, hydroxocobalamin, and methylfolate being sold at iHerb.
  14. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Yes, thanks Lotus. My comment on this was back in March 2011, so I'm trying to remember what I was looking for. I think one of them was the Neurological multi-vitamin formula that was only available from Holistic Health at that time. I had bought some in 2009 and was charged a fortune in shipping, so I asked Rich if I could get it anywhere else. I've been on the iherb folate and B12 supplements for years.

All a bit academic now as this discussion was nearly two years ago. I should imagine other companies do similar multis now.
  15. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Yeah, but perhaps there are some other international people besides you following the thread who are interested in obtaining supplements. That's why I responded even though yours was an old post. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the ingredients in the neurological health formula are pretty standard except for the nucleotides. There are other brands that do sell nucleotide formulas, but I don't know if there's something special about Yasko's nucleotides in the NHF. There was a thread somewhere talking about it, but I've been having trouble finding it again.

See more popular forum discussions.