• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simple diet restriction seems to be a successful treatment for sleep disturbance

How many with cfs get colds?

• Total voters

antares4141

Sounds too easy to be true but it really seems to help.
I eat only twice daily, once at lunch (12:pm) and once at dinner (6:pm) not having any food in my stomach at bedtime (12:am) makes an incredible difference. That's it, my diet choices below I suspect are not necessary.

I am gluten, lactose, whey, casein free and all the rest of my foods are super bland. No salt, a little sugar, rice, sweet patatos, french fries, and lot's of different types of meat. Moderate fruit juices and vegetables. (I suspect I react to some vegetables and fruits) I drink only distilled water and I can't stress enough how much this has helped me! (distilled water only cooking and drinking)

Robert Christ

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
antares4141

Curious...is there a connection between the poll and the thread?

People would not know that there is a "cold" poll here from the thread title. Also, it is hard to respond to the poll because it is implying that if you have had CFS for 5, 10, 15 years, you have not had a cold in all that time. Whereas some, like me, got colds in the earlier years of CFS, but not in the later ones.

Sushi

I get colds every year, so there is not option I can choose.

Glad it works for you, I couldn't function with eating so little. I have to eat frequently and my sleep is affected by my eating schedule and amount.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I called Life Extension about something and while on hold they played an infomercial about how magnesium helps you sleep. I have to take magnesium for my blood pressure and I generally ave no trouble sleeping. dunno if there is a connection. You might get over to www.lef.org and see what they say about magnesium and sleep.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Ok, I tried it. I cannot sleep if I do not take my magnesium. If I take my magnesium, then zzzzzz............................

Oh, I should add that when I had PMS and after menopause (PMS forever) I could not sleep - totally strung out - so much that I used to overdose on back pills, sleeping pills, anything to kindof relax a little. I have all my life taken cal/mag supplements and I used to find I had to take a 3x daily dose to even relax at night and kinda sleep. After menopause this could not continue forever but neither could a lot of things, all of which I solved with hormone replacement (DHEA). Now with DHEA (which is the same as no-PMS) then magnesium makes me sleep.

As I learned about high blood pressure I was able to demonstrate with my bp machine that cal:mag supplements would lower my bp 30 points but it would only stay lowered 2 hours for a 1x daily dose. (Possibly the 3x daily dose I used to take gav eme 6 hours??). Without the DHEA I could either not hang on to the calcium or to the magnesium or both. The result was sleeplessness. (I added this bit to show that while the necessary dietary ingredient may be magnesium, trying to get your body to hang on to it may not be easy. (Unless DHEA does it for you).

antares4141

antares4141

Curious...is there a connection between the poll and the thread?

People would not know that there is a "cold" poll here from the thread title. Also, it is hard to respond to the poll because it is implying that if you have had CFS for 5, 10, 15 years, you have not had a cold in all that time. Whereas some, like me, got colds in the earlier years of CFS, but not in the later ones.

Sushi
Apparently I didn't think that poll out too well Sorry about that. I guess I should start a thread to go with the poll so people can comment also. Sorry it took me so long to reply came back a couple times saw no replies. There must be a way to get this server to alert me via my email account Just haven't figured it out. I've had one cold in 15 years, and no flu. Just wondering if it has something to do with a hyperactive immune system.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Apparently I didn't think that poll out too well Sorry about that. I guess I should start a thread to go with the poll so people can comment also. Sorry it took me so long to reply came back a couple times saw no replies. There must be a way to get this server to alert me via my email account Just haven't figured it out. I've had one cold in 15 years, and no flu. Just wondering if it has something to do with a hyperactive immune system.

You should get alerts at the top of the page when someone replies to a thread you start of quotes you. Look at the top under alerts. There will be a red alert there.

Best wishes,
Sushi

antares4141

I have heard diet changes really help. I'm glad you found this!
Me too really seems to work, I fell off the cart a few days ago trying to get back on. And my sleep pattern started getting screwed up again. I think I was overdoing it (not enough food) with the two meals a day, And that's why i fell off the chart & started bingeing. I just don't like eating breakfast until about three hours after I get up which leads ordinarily to my eating late dinner which I am not wanting to do anymore..

antares4141

Ok, I tried it. I cannot sleep if I do not take my magnesium. If I take my magnesium, then zzzzzz............................

Oh, I should add that when I had PMS and after menopause (PMS forever) I could not sleep - totally strung out - so much that I used to overdose

Somebody got me a magnesium along time ago maybe I'll give it a try again.

ukxmrv

I didn't have colds for the first 10-15 years then for the last 15ish I'm been getting them all the time.