1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Simon Wessely wins prize for "Standing Up For Science."

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by urbantravels, Nov 6, 2012.

1. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    God I wish I was joking about this.

http://www.nature.com/news/john-maddox-prize-1.11750

snip

2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I don't have the words...
    Lelvina, justinreilly, Sing and 5 others like this.
  3. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Oh, there will be words.
    Lelvina, justinreilly, Sing and 4 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

One of the most powerful and protected people in the UK is complaining about being 'abused' by some of the sickest and most powerless and seriously abused people in his society (a situation he was instrumental in inflicting upon them).

But he is the victim, and gets a medal for it?

Anybody still doubt the power of propaganda?

Looks to me like Nature are trying to redeem themselves with the establishment after the XMRV fiasco. But they will come to deeply regret giving this inaugral award to Wessely. It is going to taint it forever.
    Roy S, Lelvina, self and 7 others like this.
  5. notinfinite

notinfinite Guest

UK
    I do but I will be in a court of law if I write the words I am feeling - I am beginning to wonder if it would be worthwhile challenging Wessely - I am already a living corpse, what else could they do to me?

Nature - Ha, the propaganda message is as strong as ever - tosspots the lot of them.

Hang on, is it April 1st?
    justinreilly and vli like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

What an excellent piece of research that was. Did they decide to begin their investigations with those viral infections, like glandular fever (EBV), which had been widely reported to lead on to CFS? No, they just lumped everything in together, and ended up with another misleading result that led to patients being treated as if their accurate claims that their fatigue began with an infection were treated as being part of an attempt to escape responsibility, and the recognition of the emotional origins of their symptoms. The best examples of this come from others citing Wessely's work, but this is from a paper where he goes on to cite his lumping-viral study:

"Search-after-meaning and recall bias are also
    relevant, since there are psychological and social reasons
    why people may prefer to attribute their fatigue
    syndrome to a virus as opposed to psychosocial
    factors.

It is thus not surprising that the initial enthusiasm
    for the role of Epstein-Barr virus in the United States
    has now subsided (see Straus (86))."

I've just started reading a new Wessely chapter I was going to post about in the on-going Wessely thread, which features more of his 'lumping': http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/simon-wessely-and-all-in-the-mind.13979/

I wonder if they mentioned at the award ceremony the work of others which has gone on to show that 'post-viral fatigue' is not just a phenomenon which was created by patients, but is instead something clearly associated with certain viral infections. I can't imagine they care.

eg: http://www.bmj.com/content/333/7568/575

The straw-manning of those who think that he has harmed patients is another pretty consistent theme of attempts to pretend that patient anger is unjustified.

Edit: This is the Wessely paper referred to, I have read it, but cannot find a copy that can be linked to right now. I wouldn't mind reading this award winning piece of research again at some point:

Post infectious fatigue: a prospective study in primary care.
    justinreilly and allyb like this.
  7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    One day he will probably get a knighthood too but the truth comes out eventually. People who abuse their power and inflict misery on vulnerable people get found out in the end.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That's not really true. They tend to enjoy happy and comfortable retirements.
  9. Tito

Tito Senior Member

Jimmy Savile got a papal knighthood.
    meandthecat likes this.
  10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Wessely, et al, are certainly going to be held to account by history.

But that is of little help to patients having to survive in the here and now, while he still lives and prospers.
    allyb and Min like this.
  11. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    'nuff said
    SOC and Kina like this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is another attempt at legitimacy. Now that his "science" is under attack and being objectively disproved on several fronts, step by step, the political justification of his "science" is in full swing. I don't think this is a joke. I think its another example of politics rather than facts and reason pushing a lot of modern "science", especially in psychiatry. Bye, Alex
    leela, allyb, ggingues and 2 others like this.
  13. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    They don't necessarily pay for it, and it doesn't necessarily happen in their lifetime. Someone raised the example of jimmy saville, and as is happening there, the truth comes out eventually.
    One day people will speak or read his name and they will know the truth about what he has done. He may not pay for it, but that is the world we live in.
    Min and taniaaust1 like this.
  14. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    What an absolute load of crap! I cant believe they can organise an award for that sort of BS.
    Are u sure Wessely isnt behind the whole thing and giving himself the award, thats called pissing in your own pocket.
    ggingues and Min like this.
  15. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    This just cracked me up! NO WORDS about the to_Opic.
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It's enjoyable how vague they have to be about this - to be flattering they can say almost nothing of substance. That is the way that a homoeopath would have to describe their efficacy.
    urbantravels, Nielk and Min like this.
  17. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands

Literally. Speechless.
  18. Stukindawski

Stukindawski

If I could draw a cartoon, it would look a little like this description:-

A hornets nest suspended in air is being poked by a pointing stick. Out from the nest a number of hornets appear, representing ME patients.

One says "That Bastard!".

The next, "Unbelievable".

And the last, "He'll get what's coming to him one day".

Meanwhile, reclining in a chair is Wessely, wielder of the aforementioned pointing stick. His feet balanced comfortably on a huge pile of "Biomedical ME research", his gaze is nonchalantly averted from the hornets nest, his other hand carrying a telephone into which he says "Call the SMC dear, I believe there's been another death threat, get me the George Cross this time!". Finally, sitting next to him, smoking away in an ashtray, is a rolled cigar with the words "Rituximab trial money" inscribed on the side.
    Dolphin, justinreilly, Sing and 5 others like this.
  19. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Unfortunately he is probably going to go to his grave with not having to be held officially responsible for all the harm he's caused patients etc with all the warped research he's done.

Does anyone know if it is true that both his parents were holocaust survivors? (I wouldnt put it past him to mislead then allow the media to keep on making statements without correction).
  20. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Hahaha soo funny. Can someone who's a good at drawing draw this whole scene for us. Sounds a good advocacy image.
    justinreilly likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.