Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Simon Wessely Quotes

Discussion in 'Information and Resources' started by Valentijn, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    I love how SW thoughtfully put that on his own website.

JaimeS and Sasha like this.
  2. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    I didn't know it was up! I saw it paywalled when I was looking at this week's NS article and made assumptions. So that was a waste of a good twenty minutes last night. Like I'm doing anything else with my life...

Looking at it, it was worth it for The Charlatans gag.

Esther12 and Scarecrow like this.
  3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Let me know if you're still looking for some, I might have access via my work.

Thanks for this, @Valentijn!

alkt and Valentijn like this.
  4. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Washington
    "What is it like to receive hate mail? There have been times when it has been pretty unpleasant. But it goes with the territory. I’m not targeted by my own patients. If I ever thought that my patients or peer group thought I was a bad person, I would be worried. What matters is that the research we do is good quality. That’s what you stand or fall by."

This isn't true, is it? None of his own patients dislike him or his methods? I know there are plenty of people who have gone to other doctors who use his methods and then hate SW. There has to be people who he has treated personally that are angry with him and his methods or that quit seeing him right away. Man, he loves himself soooooo much.

JaimeS, Wildcat and ukxmrv like this.
  5. nasim marie jafry

nasim marie jafry Senior Member

JamBob, Aurator and Wildcat like this.
  6. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
    alkt, Aurator, Wildcat and 1 other person like this.
  7. nasim marie jafry

nasim marie jafry Senior Member

Gosh, it never stops, and now a guest post from the guy who *nominated' Simon for medal:

https://twitter.com/senseaboutsci/status/626321650921963522

I do notice a climbing down though, a slightly less aggressive stance... *physical* and psychological treatments being referred to as if all is fine and dandy... as if no harm as ever been done by Wessely school...

8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

This is a rant.

SW et al really are an insular little group. It seems to have the effect of reinforcing and amplifying certain attitudes that are at best unhelpful to themselves.

SW gets hate mail and responds by very politely and carefully (intelligently/eruditely as opposed to ill mannered and ungrateful patient advocates) making a public issue of this hate mail he receives telling all and sundry via multi media how while it is only a few 'advocates' his life is impacted and life has been made difficult.

There seems to be confusion not just with what treatments work for PWME but with the idea that if one is well dressed well spoken, calm and in control that The Truth and all that's right and good is obviously on your side.
    Or that getting angry and frustrated at not being listened to discounts the validity of the content. What is one to do when polite discourse fails and the stakes are significant to one's quality of life?

At no point does he substantially engage with the real issues of the different perspective of many PWME represented by these few 'advocates' who seemed to allegedly have gone to far in their protestations. Nor does he seem to understand or have compassion for (other than paying lip service to compassion) the very relevant and inescapable fact that at least some of the PWME if not most have not only been ill for decades, but also as a result of years of unending exhaustion have patience that has worn down(not that they are impatient but that they cannot summon patience due to exhaustion), emotional lability, and cognitive issues that make communicating more difficult. These are actual aspects of the disease that are impacted by the symptoms.

If SW et al are the first and best line of treatment for this illness then why have they never ever mentioned (that I have found) how to treat the severely afflicted that are bedbound? Is CBT/GET the 'go to' treatment for them? The BPS school has influenced the direction research has taken insisting even after biological findings that for PWME continuing to be sick is a choice we make if one has to give way to science and a biological aetiology.

SW et al have the ability to make this harmful attitude/POV a thing in the past. And yet they are constantly repositioning themselves so as to not give up the fight in having the world view ME as something it is not.

Roy S, Wildcat, alkt and 1 other person like this.
  9. moosie

moosie

Good rant! I feel like I got something off my chest.

ukxmrv, alkt and Snowdrop like this.
  10. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Senior Member

UK
    http://www.simonwessely.com/index.php/cfs-personal-story/

Looks like he changed his mind.

Edit:
    http://www.simonwessely.com/Downloads/Publications/CFS/3.pdf
    Wessely S. What your patients may be reading: ME. Br Med J 1989; 298; 1532-1533.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    worldbackwards likes this.
  11. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

And just for historical clarity; you can see the first quote by Valentijn was SW circa 1989.
    The second quote by Simon doesn't have a date attached but the Copyright is for 2013 so it had to be written sometime after that.

Yes, it would be interesting to show all his papers on CFS in chronologic sequence. People have not yet really caught up to how easy it is to verify things in the day of the internet.

Yea, thousands of patients who clearly did not fit his prefabricated cfs jelly mold changed his mind. But he resisted every step of the way.
    He only concedes what he has to. :rolleyes:

If only he would really spend time with the very ill and find out who they are and see what we see as patients. And then he would know without a doubt that CBT/GET as the 'best' treatment really does not touch this illness and therefore best or not it's irrelevant. It's like offering a sandwich to someone dying of thirst in the desert. By insisting on psychiatry as the natural domain of ME/cfs treatment thousands of very sick people are left bereft of any real treatment.

alkt likes this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I'm not sure CBT/GET has any effect on patients, with ME, CFS or anything that might look similar. In the PACE trial the improvements looked like a modest placebo response plus patients trying a little harder to exert themselves. Long term or real world improvements were absent.

It's more like offering a water bottle that has only a few drops of water left.

Wildcat and alkt like this.
  13. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Senior Member

UK
    JaimeS likes this.
  14. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Wowww, @Valentijn - you are amazing.

So is he! :rolleyes:

evatious, Valentijn and alkt like this.
  15. Mij

Mij Senior Member

SW wins the grandiloquent windbag award :balloons:

16. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    windbags fortunately do not get the amount of respect/unearned/attention as this particular ego has done everything about the man shouts narcissistic personality disorder very much like freud.

Snowdrop likes this.
  17. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    he just doesn't want to let go of this particular cash cow for psychiatrists . and how many people today do not think mental illnesses are serious i just do not believe that many psychiatrists are up to the job going by all the publicity regarding their failure to listen to their patients.

18. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2545306/
    Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1988 Mar 5; 296(6623): 696–699.
    PMCID: PMC2545306
    Postviral fatigue syndrome: time for a new approach
    Anthony S David, Simon Wessely, and Anthony J Pelosi

I may have missed this in the comprehensive list. If I did, apologies.

I once read a comment by Wessely that he was rather proud of this paper which I believe was his original foray into the field. If you want to understand fundamentalists you have to look at their seminal texts!

It is interesting that in 1988 he considered Postviral fatigue syndrome to be the appropriate name. Interesting also to see how McEvedy and Beard's hysteria has morphed into abnormal illness behaviour. According to McEvedy and Beard the abnormal illness belief or behaviour was that of the medical staff who in difficult circumstances lumped together heterogenous cases and called them an epidemic.

Surprising how quickly his views seem to have changed.

Interesting also that PD White's assistance is credited at this early stage.

mango, Valentijn and A.B. like this.
  19. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

In this old Wessely paper one can see how they're constructing a psychological disorder. It's pure rethoric ad nauseam without substance.

SOC, alkt, mango and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.