1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Simon Wessely Quotes

Discussion in 'Information and Resources' started by Valentijn, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Updated through 2007. He's definitely slowing down a bit, though some papers aren't accessible without paying. I'll try to get a look at them after I finish up with the easy stuff.
  2. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Updated through 2012 :cool:
    Bob and alex3619 like this.
  3. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Currently digging up the harder-to-find articles and chapters. I just hit one that mentions (and dismisses) PEM:
    I'd seen this elsewhere, so decided to see what the hell he's talking about. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_contraction#Eccentric_contraction it's called delayed onset muscle soreness. While the time frame is about right, wikipedia has this to say: "The pain is felt only when the muscle is stretched, contracted or put under pressure, not when it is at rest."

Whereas in PEM/PENE, the pain is constant and symptoms are more widespread than just muscles that were used.

There might indeed be a problem with eccentric muscle contractions, but if so it's a pathological version of it - not standard deconditioning.
    Bob likes this.
  4. Persimmon

Persimmon Senior Member

Valentijn, this is great!

Thanks for all the hard work.

Here's a Wessely" quote that acknowledges the severity of our disease: it's good to be able to point to our biggest critics admitting this much:

"... far from merely representing the “worried well”, many such patients are severely disabled. For example, chronic fatigue syndrome is associated with worse disability than conditions such as heart failure."

The quote is from page 396 of 'Functional somatic syndromes: one or many?'
    S Wessely, C Nimnuan, M Sharpe
    Lancet 1999; 354: 936–39
    Valentijn likes this.
  5. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    These sorts of quotes are difficult ... I try to choose the ones where he's stating things very plainly, but in one like this I think his meaning is different than what would usually be inferred by someone reading it. That is, there's a suggestion in this quote that CFS is a serious physiological disease by comparing it to heart failure, but what he really seems to mean in the greater context of his other work is that mental illnesses like his version of CFS can be just as disabling as physiological illness.
  6. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    "Finally, it should be noted that our conclusions are primarily based on common sense, in the absence of a sound evidence base."
    Huibers M, Wessely S. The act of diagnosis: pros and cons of labelling chronic fatigue syndrome. Psychological Medicine 2006: 36

This one pissed me off the most. How can he claim that his research is based in science and then conclude it is primarily based on common sense. After admitting this, why is it that people still listen to this man? I don't get it.

I think this is a good idea (keeping his quotes in one area). When he contradicts himself, we will know; and, hopefully, can get others to see it to.
    Antares in NYC, Valentijn and Adster like this.

See more popular forum discussions.