1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Silver found to increase effectiveness of antibiotics

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Jun 27, 2013.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-antibiotics-silver-20130620,0,6215677.story
  2. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Perhaps this is why my CFS Dr suggested that I take silver along with my Azithromycin for 3 weeks!

GG
  3. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    interesting, thanks for posting
  4. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    I have to admit that I looked in to this a little. There is a guy that turned blue with argyria from silver, but he was making it at home incorrectly, and using it incorrectly. There are others too who have gotten argyria.

People seem to be using it for various health issues. Antidoctal reports for wound healing without scars, foot fungus, sinus infections, etc.

It comes in at least three forms apparently. Silver suspended in protein, silver ionic, and silver colloids. Problems start to happen when the silver solution is not made correctly, or one takes the wrong form.

Don't know what type of silver they are using in the research the article describes.
  5. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Not only anecdotal .... It was used a lot before antibiotics, and afterwards by some. I highly recommend The Body Electric by R Becker. Talks about docs treating otherwise untreatable infections - for example of bone tissue, where antibiotics cannot reach - with silver dressings. (that is only one tiny aspect in the book, which is fascinating for many reasons)
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

This is an extremely interesting finding.

The study itself is here: Silver Enhances Antibiotic Activity Against Gram-Negative Bacteria

The researchers used silver nitrate solution in combination with the antibiotics. However, silver nitrate is a risky thing to take internally: it can lead to argyria, and also to fatal methemoglobinemia.

But I wonder if colloidal silver might have a similar effect when taken with antibiotics. Colloidal silver is a pretty safe supplement to take.

Generally, colloidal silver products fall into two categories: those containing silver nano-particles (particulate silver), and those containing silver ions. Since the authors of this study mentioned that the positively charged silver ions degraded the bacteria's protective layer, it might be best to use a silver ion based colloidal silver product if you are going to experiment with taking colloidal silver with antibiotics.

Ionic colloidal silver solution is clear in color, whereas particulate colloidal silver solution is slightly gray in color.
    Little Bluestem and natasa778 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.