1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Silly question.. why do the Bs feel so bad?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by chilove, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Audrey,

Potassium is used in bulk in every cell in our body. When methylation has been supressed so has cell reproduction. When whatever is stopping cell reproduction is supplied suddenly a lot more potassium is needed. It is an indicator that cell reproduction has gotten going. It's good news as long as you know to take potassium. Otherwise it is misery and even dangerous to fatal if it is severe enough for long enough.

2. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Rydra,

For me the sure tipoff is excrucitating muscle spasms in my legs especially (damaged nerves already) when relaxed, not flexed, not stretched, not contracted such as sitting in a chair or lying in bed in the middle of the night. Also around this time can come heart arrythmias, depression, irrritability, nausea. I'm sure some thers can contribute additional things. Like so many things of the 20 or so listed symptoms, most people will have up to a handful of symptoms as their early indicators. Some are difficult to see, like depression and irrtability as those are common anyway so watch for changes in mood and personality. They can be an earliest indicator if noticed. A lot of us speak of the Mr Hyde personality. When that comes on something is wrong.

The adb12 is needed for repair of myelin and to promote neural growth.

3. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Rydra,

Another factor for cheilitis is vitamin B2 deficiency. However, it's the last factor in that heals it. So if a person is taking their b-complex twice a day and their High gamma E and and getting a good amount of mb12, and it is then responsive to folate status it becomes a folate deficiency signal. It's good to hear others specifying b-complex more than once a day and high gamma E.

4. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Lou,

The part of the nail aqffected by anything in the past two weeks is still inside the skin. The part of the nail that breaks and tears reflects nutritional status 2-6 months ago.

5. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US

So, just trying to put this together, your nails grew thicker and stronger on mb12, adb12, metafolin and l-carnitine fumarate, and mine after use of mb12 and metafolin(not yet on the adb12 and carnitine) grew weaker, then based upon Rydra post re copper deficency and your thoughts on induced deficency maybe an already low supply of copper was taxed with my start of mb12 and metafolin. Whadda you think, Fred? Possible? Thanks.

6. rydra_wong

rydra_wong Guest

Well I think Freddd has a point that if you have only been on the protocol a few weeks that only accounts for nail still under the skin.

Also if you are male you are less likely to be copper deficient until you are older - say like 70 - because
    you still have testosterone increasing the half life of copper. Smoking can also cause copper deficiency (due to cadmium poisoning), as can too much zinc as it impedes copper absorption. But short of smoking, I don't kno that I've ever heard of a younger male having a copper shortage. I think it is common for women over 50 to be deficient in copper.

7. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Well, I've been taking the thorne B complex for over a year, and haven't experienced these specific issues, so folinic acid might not be an issue for me. OTOH, a large serving of spinach can make me nauseous, and I've never enjoyed (or craved) dark greens. The few times I tried something like green superfoods powder, I've felt crappy.

Is teeth sensitivity/gum pain another symptom of paradoxical folate defiency? I have experienced that in the last two weeks also.

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    On vitamin E: not only has it been shown to be often deficient in ME, but I know of a doctor who routinely tested patients for it. In several patients the vitamin E levels were indetectable with conventional lab tests, presumably as they were so low. Its on my short list for probable deficiencies in ME patients. Bye, Alex

9. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US

Thanks, Fred, don't know how I missed this post, but makes sense. On second thought, you said starting mb12 active protocol made your nails thicker and stronger. You must mean over some extended time you had this effect, or the question arises as to why my nails couldn't be negatively affected in a brief period while yours positively in a similar time period.

In that prior post I see now you never said this happened quickly, it's just I got that's what you were saying, and so now I'm assuming I simply misunderstood how quick this happened.

Hi Rydra, we're all so different there are probably other reasons could be added to your list for cu deficiency in males. For instance, I think vit C is an antagonist(guess it chelates cu) to cu, and for many years I took mega doses of Vit C. Thanks.

10. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City

HI Lou,

Yes, over time. The nail got twice as thick and I could watch the wave of thickening progressing slowly up my fingers and toenails over some months. I could see it and feel it of course.

11. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Adreno,

Is teeth sensitivity/gum pain another symptom of paradoxical folate defiency? I have experienced that in the last two weeks also.

It's hard to tell right now as there is so much overlap of the b12 and methylfolate seficiencies. It could be. That could explain the increase in the (perceived?) pain during startup. Have ti wach for that. What about some of the other things like cheilitis, IBS, nausea, etc?

12. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking?

13. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Do you have other symptoms that come on always with the weakness and always go away when it goes asway, though timing may be several days difference but always the same several days?

14. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Still not sure what you mean. Since starting the Country Life adb12 about two weeks ago, I've noticed the described symptoms, including gum pain, teeth sensitivity.

Whether I've had symptoms relating to this over the years is hard to deduct. I have had constant symptoms for the last 4 years, and they are always fluctuating in severity. They include headache, nausea, rash, anxiety, cold extrimities, depression, irritability, burning and tingling, twitching, myalgies, weakness, shaking/tremors, fatigue, brain fog, IBS, insomnia, dysautonomia, allergies, gum pain. Hope I didn't forget some.

15. Lola23

Lola23

Hi guys I am new to this website. I totally believe methylation is key to my healing from CFS/ fibro. Two years ago I took 800mcg folic acid and felt AMAZING for two weeks. I slept better. My back pain went away. Then all of a sudden I started to get a migraine every time I took the folic acid. Even when I halved the dose and took it a month later, I still got a migraine. Now two years later, I still can't tolerate even a quarter of a tablet of metafolin. What is going on? I also get an immediate migraine from B12...even if I nibble off the slightest bit of a tiny active B12, I get a SPLITTING headache to the point of having to lie in bed in pain for the next 24 hours.

Does anyone know what could be going on? Or what I could do to be able to tolerate folic acid and B12? I know if I could tolerate these vitamins, I would feel much better. For some reason B6 or P5P gives me no problem at all. Is this a potassium deficiency? What "cofactors" could I be missing?

16. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, Lola.

You might consider trying 500 micrograms per day of molybdenum. Molybdenum helps with the conversion of sulfite to sulfate. If it's low, sulfite can build up, and that can produce headaches. As always, I recommend working with a physician while on methylation-type protocols.

Best regards,

Rich

17. Lola23

Lola23

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your reply. Any type of physician? Most don't know about this stuff.

See more popular forum discussions.