• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Silkworm Cocoon for Your Brain (Brain Factor-7)

Changexpert

Very interesting article (more like an advertisement). The basic idea is that once silk is digested in the body, they are broken down into polypeptides that are beneficial for our bodies.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/con...factor-seven.html?icid=hpHeroOctoberNeuroSilk

There are strong indications that Brain Factor-7 helps brain circulation adapt more efficiently to demand. Brain imaging in one study found increases in circulation and brain uptake of glucose in the brain regions used for learning and memory. Other research has found that Brain Factor-7 helps normalize circulation and glucose uptake in other organs. Brain Factor-7 helps blood flow and glucose uptake adapt to its demands in a healthy way.
To put it simply, Brain Factor-7 is very special because it is mostly repeated units of the two smallest amino acids—glycine and alanine—that give it Velcro®-like properties for protein interactions, just like the body uses for virtually everything proteins do.

I wonder if taking a combination of glycine and alanine in certain proportion can replicate this study result.

ps: I am not affiliated with Swanson or the product being sold.

ahmo

@Changexpert The concept of this Brain Factor putting scaffolding in place is fabulous. Something that seemingly crosses BBB!:woot:
I used serrapeptase as a protyolytic enzyme, as did my husband. I think it had quite a real beneficial effect.
Serratiopeptidase is present in the silkworm intestine and allows the emerging moth to dissolve its cocoon
Swanson's makes the perfect B Complex for me. I'll be sending for some of this very soon. Thanks so much for the shout-out.:hug:
What impressed me the most about the research on Brain Factor-7 is the full range of ages in normal, healthy people representative of the general population. Children, high school and college students, adults from 13–70 years old and seniors over 70 years old were studied in nine separate studies. They were given the most-used brain measurement tools in psychiatry and psychology. Each study showed benefits for different kinds of short-term memory, learning skills and complex tasks, problems you see in IQ tests. The reproducibility of results—about 20% improvement across the tests—is realistic and “feelable” for most people, and not from a stimulant effect. Doses tested were 200 and 400 mg daily in two divided doses for three weeks—a short time for seeing results....

There are strong indications that Brain Factor-7 helps brain circulation adapt more efficiently to demand. Brain imaging in one study found increases in circulation and brain uptake of glucose in the brain regions used for learning and memory. Other research has found that Brain Factor-7 helps normalize circulation and glucose uptake in other organs. Brain Factor-7 helps blood flow and glucose uptake adapt to its demands in a healthy way.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Changexpert - It looks a little intriguing. What I found interesting is the reference to glycine and alanine. I started taking glycine maybe a year ago or so, because it helps with sleep. Initially it caused a very strong detox reaction for me (it's used in Phase II liver detoxification) but eventually I came to tolerate it and now take 2 grams every night for sleep.

Beta alanine is one of the supplements which is supposed to help reduce PEM. There were some posts awhile ago which mention this but I can't find them now. I believe beta alanine is structurally different than regular alanine but I can't tell you any more than that. A lot of athletes use beta alanine to help with performance and reduce fatigue. I tried it - it seemed to rev me up, but then let me down - I'm not sure what happened with it.