• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Significant reponse to adrenal cortex

Thinktank

I've had poor adrenal function for a long time now, this is confirmed by numerous blood and 24h saliva tests on cortisol.

For the past 6 months or so i've been completely unable to deal with stress, everything triggers my overactive SNS leaving me in a state of constant anxiety and fight or flight. Probably because cortisol is low and adrenaline is running high.
One thing that also completely breaks me apart is the frequent urination that leaves me dehydrated.

Knowing that i have low cortisol, suspecting low mineralocorticoids and likely high adrenaline i decided to try an adrenal cortex supplement (this is without the medulla, so no adrenaline).
My response to the first dose was quite significant! I feel more calm / less anxious / able to deal with stress better, much less urination, 1.5kg increase in bodyweight (which i really like because i'm severely underweight), skin feels plump and less inflammation in my eyes.

This absolutely confirms that there's something wrong with my adrenals. I don't think it's the root cause, which is probably a dysfunctional/inflamed hypothalamus, but by treating my adrenals i will have a better quality of life. Doing HRT or anything alike has always been the last option in mind, i thought that with treating my lyme disease the hormonal problems would resolve but that has not been the case. I see no other option at the moment than supplementing with hydrocortisone, low dose adrenal cortex and perhaps fludrocortisone.

Anyone here on adrenal cortex or corticosteroids / mineralocorticoids?

ahmo

Initially I used chinese licorice. When this no lponger helped, I tried cortef, but I couldn't tolerate it. Adrenal cortex was very helpful I used it for several years. Following extensive diet and detox efforts, I was able to discontinue. I used Enzymatic Therapies Adrenergize. good luck.