• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Significant improvement on MitoQ

pogoman

Just FYI, the MitoQ lost its positive effect on me, after about 2 weeks. I'm trying to work out why that was.

One possibility is that prior to starting MitoQ I was injecting 100ng/week gc-maf, though I had stopped that about 2 weeks prior to starting the MitoQ. It's possible MitoQ only works well in me when combined with gc-maf. With gcmaf.eu now banned from distributing to the UK, I can't test this idea.

I recently tried a 3 week break, and can report I did feel some positive increase in energy when I had my first dose again, although it was not as strong as what I reported in the beginning of this thread.

I had a similar experience with L-lysine a couple years ago, increased energy, pain relief and hypertension dropped so much I stopped my bp med.
lasted about a month or two and then things went back to how they were.
I still take lysine but its more just in case, other mitochondrial and methylation supplements have helped me altho not as pronounced as that first time with the lysine.

ErdemX

I've tried MitoQ, 20mg a day for 2 months and unfortunately haven't seen any improvement :(

I even tried 60 mg one day to see any effect but nope.

But still curious about the face cream :)

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have been doing LRT (lipid replacement therapy) with NT Factor EnergyLipids and I think / hope it is helping with membrane healing.
@Sherpa, who makes the NT Factor that you take? I have been trying to find an unadulterated one for a couple of years. I finally bought one with a bunch of other stuff in it, but it did not help.

whodathunkit

I have gotten a subtle but nice little boost of energy and overall well-being out of 10mg/day of MitoQ. I've been using it for nearly 2 weeks. IMO it's a keeper.

Worth noting is that I NEVER got *anything* out of any form of CoQ10 (ubiquinol or ubiquinone) at any dose until I started getting my methylation straightened out and attendant nutritional deficiencies either resolved or well on the way to resolution. I had been doing Freddd's methylation protocol for over 9 months (and supplementing with needed cofactor nutrients) when I had some dental surgery and radically upped (to 600mg/day) my CoQ10 intake to help heal. Upping the dose didn't exactly give me a "yowzer!" type boost (like I got with my first mB12 injection), but it was pleasant and remarkable nonetheless. That was the first inkling I ever got that CoQ10 might actually be what you see written about it (instead of an expensive do-nothing bummer, which is how I'd experienced it before). The boost happened the same day I started that dose. I had taken that dose in my pre-methylation life as an experiment and got nada out of it.

I experienced the same little boost out of 10mg of MitoQ.

Per milligram MitoQ is much more expensive than ubiquinol, but since I have to take at least 600mg of ubiquinol to get the same effect I expect the cost is fairly equivalent, if not a little in favor of the MitoQ.

O' course I don't expect the "noticeable boost" to last forever (just like it didn't with the injectable mB12) but I'll keep taking it because it's obviously doing something (again like the mB12). I expect the feeling to fade as I incorporate the boost into my new definition of normal and my body acclimatizes to it.

The face serum seems very nice. Goes on smooth and light. Too soon to tell about effects yet, but I think it's helping a little with "brightening". I have pretty good skin, though (skin is the one thing I've never really been able to mess up from crappy lifestyle choices) so if the serum has benefits it may take a while to notice them. I'll keep using it for six months at least. It's not the worst topical I've ever used for the same amount of money, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Rand56

I started taking MitoQ for the first time 5 days ago, just 5mg's per day in the morning. Too early to tell and could be placebo, but I'm reacting favorably to it. The last 2 nights I've gotten solid sleep. I can't even remember the last time I got some solid sleep 2 nights in a row. I'll just have to see if it continues. I'm tempted to up it to 10mg's but this stuff is so darn expensive, I'll keep it at 5mg's for now to see how it goes.

Rand56

I need to add something else about the MitoQ. Something I just realized this morning. I find this somewhat odd, but I'm not complaining. Yesterday was my first day back in the gym lifting weights after about a 5 week layoff. I know my body well enough that when I have a layoff, I need to lighten up on the weights when I start back up, because if I don't, I get the burning muscle pain for awhile. I lightened up on the weights, but still gave myself a decent workout where I figured I would aleast feel "some" muscle pain today. I feel no muscle pain at all and I actually should be. I hardly think this lack of a symptom would be placebo. I cannot think of anything else, other than the MitoQ, that would cause this. Anyone have an explanation for this? Seriously, I "should be" having "some" pain but I don't.

Edit: Anyone know if it's possible it could help curb lactic acid production? Either this or possibly help to clear any excess faster?

Last edited:

whodathunkit

@Rand56: I have found that I don't need more than 5mg. You might benefit from doing 10mg for a while, but my experience was the 10mg ultimately made me too speedy (although it was good for a while). So I cut back to 5mg. Now I am alternating MitoQ with ubiquinol every other day, just in case one adds something the other doesn't, since the two are somewhat different.

I definitely experience an energy boost as well as a decrease of PEM when using CoQ10 analogs in high enough doses. I don't really have PEM any more and I think a part of that is due to CoQ10. I can't speculate on what the mechanism behind this is, however, beyond saying that CoQ10 boosts mitochondrial function and that's got to have a beneficial effect on everything.

I've also found that as time wears on I don't have to take as much of ubiquinol, either.

I believe the other two key factors in getting rid of my PEM are using L-Carnitine Fumarate and working on my gut (in case anyone's interested).

Hip

There are some details about supplements which reduce PEM ("PEM-busters") in this post, as well as links to studies examining the possible mechanisms by which these supplements increase exercise endurance in healthy people.

Last edited:

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I read a post where MitoQ is recommended for the SOD2 A16V +/+ (gg) mutation - which I have.

I took 5mg of MitoQ for the first time this morning. I am getting a nice anti-oxidant effect, very soothing as well as energizing. The quality of the effect is on par with the first time I got my methylation working - a feeling of relief.

It feels like its addressing something that my body "really needed"

I am very curious to see how it works out.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@AlmostEasy

I think it is a very good mitochondrial booster for me, but - like regular CoQ10 - it is almost "too strong" and I got a little overstimulated from the recommended 10mg dose.

I did better at 5mg.

I found it to be "helpful but not essential" in my supplement stack considering the high cost. Taking liposomal resveratrol + Niagen gives me plenty of energy, I don't really need more.

@Sherpa

Gotcha. Is the liposomal resveratrol a creation of your own or are you purchasing it? Since liposomal glutathione was huge for me I bought a mini industrial style sonic cleanser and have been making my own for a couple months. I've considered making lipo curcumin and resveratrol.

Also I just wanted to put out there that I contacted to company to see if they had any free samples / sample sizes and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting MitoQ.

Regrettably we don't have any samples/ sample sized product.

We have received a great response from many customers who suffer from numerous mitochondrial diseases, who have reported generating benefit.

We usually recommend 20mg (4 capsules in the morning) for conditions associated with increased oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction, however we suggest starting with 10mg per day for a week and then slowly increasing to 20mg to see whether a higher dose provides you with further benefit. If you do not notice any difference, resort back to 10mg.

If you purchase MitoQ and find you are unhappy with your experience or don't receive any benefit from MitoQ after trialling for a month then we would be more than happy to reimburse you.

For first time buyers we also provide a 10% discount utilise this use the coupon MITOQ10OFF at checkout on your order.

Otherwise I suggest you sign up to our newsletter and check out our Facebook page to keep up to date with any promotions/ giveaways MitoQ may have in the future.

Sincerest apologies I couldn't be of more help.

If there is anything further I can help with, please do not hesitate to contact me by replying to this email address.

Wishing you all good things,

Anastasia

I know personally I cannot do the "buy a $60 supplement for the 1/20 chance it's helpful at all and usually doesn't end up doing anything" anymore. At first I was enticed by the hype but reality sets in and that's just not reasonable anymore. The money back guarantee makes me much more willing to try this.

niall

I have read this thread with great interest. A few months ago, I saw Dr. Klimas and she wanted me to start a supplement called Mitochondrial Basics with PQQ from Life Extension. She told me that the PQQ helps the cells produce mitochondria even the cells that have viruses in them. I have been taking it for about six weeks and I am happy to report that I have a decidedly better tolerance for sustained activity. I remain guardedly optimistic that this will continue. I am also taking Famvir and Isoprinosine. Life Extension has another product for the mitochondria with PQQ but she only mentioned the Mitochondrial Basics. For those of you who have tried everything else, it is definitely worth trying but give it time before judging your response. My best to all.

Hip

The money back guarantee makes me much more willing to try this.

I searched the MitoQ website for the words "return" or "reimburse", and found this on the UK version of the MitoQ site:
Returns
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase, and we stand by the quality of our products. Should you for any reason be unhappy with your purchase, please contact our customer service first before to see if we can resolve your issue and, where appropriate, to return the items. Upon product return we will issue a refund or exchange for an alternative item.

Please follow the guidelines below:

Products must have been purchased directly from mitoq.com.
Products must be returned within 30 days of order date.
Please enclose your proof of purchase (receipt or packing slip) with your return.
We cannot accept returns on overly used products (applicable for MitoQ Moisturising Anti-Aging Serum) or opened products (applicable for MitoQ Dietary Supplements).
Original shipping and handling charges are non-refundable in the cases such as item is no longer required, you failed to claim the item at the custom, ordered in error, or missed the delivery. Upon receipt of the order, your item(s) will be refunded to your account minus a US$20 restocking fee. Please note that packages can take several weeks to be returned to us. A full refund will be given if the return is a result of our error.
Returned packages must be returned prepaid, to the address below.
Should you decide to return a product for a refund or exchange please contact our customer service at customerservice@mitoq.com

Please return the items to:
Outlet Centre, 3 Akoranga Drive, Northcote, Auckland 0627, New Zealand

Source: here. The US version of the website says the same thing.

So the first thing to notice is that you have to send returns to New Zealand. Then they say that they cannot accept returns from opened products.

So this seems to contradict what they told you by email, where MitoQ said: "If you ... don't receive any benefit from MitoQ after trialling for a month then we would be more than happy to reimburse you."

But I guess if you do have a personal email from MitoQ assuring you that you will get a refund if it does not work for you, then hopefully that should be good enough.

I have wanted to try this product for some time, but am also put off by the high price, which would be a waste of money if it does not help my ME/CFS.

Last edited:

*GG*

I have read this thread with great interest. A few months ago, I saw Dr. Klimas and she wanted me to start a supplement called Mitochondrial Basics with PQQ from Life Extension. She told me that the PQQ helps the cells produce mitochondria even the cells that have viruses in them.

I have been taking it for about six weeks and I am happy to report that I have a decidedly better tolerance for sustained activity. I remain guardedly optimistic that this will continue. I am also taking Famvir and Isoprinosine. Life Extension has another product for the mitochondria with PQQ but she only mentioned the Mitochondrial Basics. For those of you who have tried everything else, it is definitely worth trying but give it time before judging your response. My best to all.

Yeah, I get Life Extension magazines, seemed like a good supplement to try, just haven't had the cash. Hopefully the near future!

GG