• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Significant improvement on MitoQ

cigana

Hi, @cigana I'm wondering if you can quantify the change for us. For example, were you able to do more or did you simply feel better? Also, did you suffer brain fog and did the mitoQ help with that?

Thanks so much. It's always wonderful to hear when someone has success with a supplement.
I'm a little hesitant to quantify it so early, because I don't want to tempt fate (if you know what I mean)...

But I'll try. I was able to do more as well as feel better. I suppose I am in quite a mild category to begin with, I can get out and walk but I always pay for it in the evening. What I found from taking this was a very rapid lack of heaviness/fatigue in my legs as I walk, as though I have suddenly become lighter. As you know it is usually difficult to do simple tasks like walk to the bathroom, due to the constant fatigue, but now I notice when I stand/walk, that fatigue is much reduced, and I can walk much much more without it appearing.
It really is very significant. I've tried many supplements over the years and this is the only thing that has ever helped, which is why I'm telling everyone :)

cigana

Glad to hear it's working for you, @cigana. I am tempted to try this. I see it's only shipped from New Zealand and very expensive which means it's likely to get customs charges slapped on it as well.

I've not had any luck with standard CoQ10 supplements in the past, though I never tried the high doses some people here take. I don't have the SNP in question.
I would guess it's perfectly possible to have low SOD2 even without the A16V mutation. And MitoQ may not be raising SOD2, it could just be working as a powerful mitochondrial antioxidant. I also tried high doses of coq10 in the past to no effect, as well as high doses of many other things including glutathione IV.

cigana

I've used Cq10 and also Ubiquinone, never noticed any improvement but continued with them for a long time as we read its important for us. Tempted to try this but the cost and the shipping to the UK:(
Perhaps try a high dose of ubiquinone first, if you still have some.

cigana

As Hip mentioned, it really is just a hunch that this is related to the SOD2 mutation - please don't take that as gospel. TBH, the idea of a powerful mitochondria-targeted antioxidant is just what we all need, whether or not you have the genetic mutation.
I wouldn't want people to not try this as a result of my poor analysis of the cause of the effect!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
My Mito test with Dr Myhill showed blockage of the MnSODase gene - i still don't really know what this means. Normal co q 10 hasn't done much, but i notice that Dr M has just switched from recommending the cheaper ubiquinol to ubiquinone - maybe i will try that first. Am reacting to a lot right now and don't fancy those fillers in the Mitoq.

Glad its helping you...

Sidereal

The CoQ10 that worked for me was also developed in Australia and made in New Zealand, but the rights were bought by a Hong Kong company. I wonder if this is mark 2 of the product?

Interesting. I suppose you could get in touch with them and ask.

What sorts of benefits did you experience on the old product, if you can remember?

msf

Hi Cigana,

You are a patient of KDM, right? Was the MitoQ his suggestion or your own discovery? I don't really understand the genetics of it, but it seems to me that the efficacy might just have something to do with the fact that KDM (and I assume other researchers) are finding Midichloria Mitochondrii in ME patients. It almost seems to simple an answer to the mitochondrial dysfunction that is suspected in ME patients, but the problem with the gene explanation, for me anyway, is that I was fine one day and definitely not fine the next. I guess the mitochondrial genes could affect how people react to the same stress stimulus, but again, my body reacted to all the previous stress stimuli without any long-term problems, so for it me it comes back to the infection - why was this one different? Perhaps part of the answer (for some patients anyway) is that an infection is causing the oxidative damage within the mitochondria. Anyway, this is all lay speculation, so I just wanted to ask whether you have been tested for M. Mitochondrii?

NB// I realise that there is little published science about M. Mitochondrii, in fact I was a little concerned to see that the second entry about it on Google was for the Star Wars Wiki...

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I used to get extreme overstimulation from taking even normal CoQ10 in small (50mg) doses. I think this is because my mitochondria are severely damaged by oxidative stress, worse than some. I have been doing LRT (lipid replacement therapy) with NT Factor EnergyLipids and I think / hope it is helping with membrane healing. It'll be interesting to try mitochondrial supplements again in the future to see if I can tolerate them like most patients.

@adreno @cigana I tried idebenone back before my illness as a 'smart drug.' It was very nice, soothing stuff - seemed to calm me and make colors seem brighter. Something like a 'serotonin boost' for lack of a more precise explanation of the effect, more than a mitochondrial stimulant. I would take it before bed.

Last edited:

cigana

Hi Cigana,

You are a patient of KDM, right? Was the MitoQ his suggestion or your own discovery? I don't really understand the genetics of it, but it seems to me that the efficacy might just have something to do with the fact that KDM (and I assume other researchers) are finding Midichloria Mitochondrii in ME patients. It almost seems to simple an answer to the mitochondrial dysfunction that is suspected in ME patients, but the problem with the gene explanation, for me anyway, is that I was fine one day and definitely not fine the next. I guess the mitochondrial genes could affect how people react to the same stress stimulus, but again, my body reacted to all the previous stress stimuli without any long-term problems, so for it me it comes back to the infection - why was this one different? Perhaps part of the answer (for some patients anyway) is that an infection is causing the oxidative damage within the mitochondria. Anyway, this is all lay speculation, so I just wanted to ask whether you have been tested for M. Mitochondrii?

NB// I realise that there is little published science about M. Mitochondrii, in fact I was a little concerned to see that the second entry about it on Google was for the Star Wars Wiki...

Yes I am a patient of his, but this was my own discovery. I must admit my interest in M. Mitochondrii has increased since this discovery. Previously I had thought it was just another in a long list of tick related pathogens. I've no doubt a pathogen is more the root cause and I'm just treating an effect.

Where did you hear that many patients are testing positive, just the posts on this forum?
I have not been tested, but will ask about it if I can save enough money to see KDM again.

msf

Sorry, I just assumed that some of KDM's patients were testing positive since it seems to be one of his go-to tests now.

perchance dreamer

MitoQ did give me more energy, but had a bad effect on my sleep. I'll have to try it again to see if it still has that effect.

There is also a MitoQ skin serum. I use it on my face and neck, and it has really helped make my skin smoother. It's one of those things that work slowly over time.

Gingergrrl

Thank you to @cigana and everyone for the additional info and I am considering trying MitoQ in the future based on your reports. I have not had mitochondrial testing but am fairly sure I have mito damage and this is part of why I am so impaired. If I do try it, I will report back on here!

Hip

It would be interesting to see if further benefits are noticed at higher doses of MitoQ. Unfortunately this will be more expensive; although since @cigana observed that the effects kick in very fast, within a few hours of taking MitoQ, one could just take a higher dose level just as an experiment for a day, and see if on that day increased benefits were noticed.

In the clinical trails on Parkinson's disease, patients were given a pretty high oral MitoQ dose of 40 or 80 mg per day for a year (MitoQ did not show any benefit for Parkinson's though; but I understand that N-acetyl-cysteine is the antioxidant par excellence for Parkinson's).

The cost of MitoQ appears to be £0.58 per 5 mg pill.

alex3619

Interesting. I suppose you could get in touch with them and ask.

What sorts of benefits did you experience on the old product, if you can remember?
Substantial increase in energy and reduction in fatigue. Enough to reliably notice. As soon as it was bought out by the Hong Kong company they stopped selling anywhere but Asia, so I had to stop taking it. This was a few years ago.