• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SIBO What test will determine what specific bacteria is overgrown

What test will determine what 'specific' bacteria is overgrown and is the data valuable for removing/ reducing it and or help with specific foods to avoid or consume that the specific bacteria feed on?

Carl

Tests are a waste of time and money IMO.

Almost certain is hypochlorhydria because that is almost always what causes SIBO. Until you get your stomach functioning you will have great difficulty stopping SIBO.

I would recommend Colloidal Silver ie particulate form and not the common Ionic form. The particulate form is far safer and more effective against stomach infections. You can make this yourself providing you regulate the current. You would then need to perform a reduction using a suitable reducing agent such as maltodextrin, Maltose or something else such as powdered Aloe vera extract. These need to be mixed with the prepared ionic silver and heated to eliminate the charged particles. I now have a magnetic stirrer/hotplate so this should all be fairly easy to do.

Reduced CS should help both the stomach and the small intestine. Just getting your stomach acid functioning will also clear up your small intestine.

I am about to try this myself although I must point out that I do not have SIBO because I raise my stomach acid levels. Things have been slow due to having to get various things. Plus I injured my foot last night which is making things harder. I hope that I have not broken a bone. It's badly swollen and hurts. I have broken that ankle in the past. I am hoping that it is just swollen and will clear up by itself. I will see if the swelling reduces in the next couple of days before going to A&E.

You could try doing a stomach acid test using sodium bicarb.

Another test us to swallow some acid such as lemon juice or vinegar and wash it around your mouth to mix saliva and then swallow. Have some sodium bicarb prepared in some warm water and wash it around your mouth to neutralise the acid immediately afterwards BUT DO NOT SWALLOW. Spit it out. Then see if you burp. Urease bacteria should neutralise the acid and cause a burp. Saliva contains Urea which is what these bacteria use. Therefore if you burp a lot, especially when you consume acids or your stomach tries to produce acid to digest protein, then you now know why!

Oops I forgot to put in the link
http://livingfoods.co.uk/the-acid-test-by-philip-weeks/

Last edited:

Some of your suggestions such as lemon juice & vinegar, I have to stay away from due to histamine's 'HIT'
I also have FUT2 gene mutation so yes low acid and flora due to not secreting antigens.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3098274/

"UREA.-
-plaque microorganisms readily produce ammonia from urea to cause a rise in plaque pH. -the pH of plaque from fasting subjects is always higher than that of the adjacent unstimulated saliva, which suggests that in the absence of an external source of carbohydrate, the physiologic levels of urea in saliva are sufficient to allow the plaque microorganisms to maintain a positive pH differential between plaque and saliva. -the level of urea in saliva is directly related to the level in blood, and that the level of urea in blood is directly related to the level of protein intake. Thus diets high in protein might be expected to maintain relatively high salivary urea levels. Most of the experiments on the effect of diet on saliva have been confounded because of inadequacies in experimental design such as too few subjects, lack of control subjects, and inadequate standardization of the saliva collection technique. "
http://cariology.wikifoundry.com/page/Composition of saliva

Just checked my BUN blood urea nitrogen and over 5 tests it ranged from 11-18 mg/dL within range from 2009-2015
So i don't think urea is much of an issue but interesting that one can reduce protein intake to reduce urea levels

Do you have any links to good tutorials on the manufacturing of colloidal silver and schematics of the setup ?

Won't the antimicrobial properties kill off good bacteria?

Are you aware of orange peel extract properties, if not you may want to look into it, just discover it yesterday and going to try d-limonene for motility and SIBO.