• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SIBO treatments in the UK

I will try and explain why I am asking about this as quickly as possible.

Last September I was put on an anti-candida diet by a kinesiologist after she tested me for candida. The diet she put me on was a low sugar and low carb diet. However it was high in sulfur/thiols, which can apparently feed yeast and other bacteria in the digestive tract.

Immediately upon starting this diet my symptoms changed, as in they were not fluctuating so much (sometimes better, sometimes worse) and I actually felt better at brief moments. But after two weeks I started to feel much worse, my depression got worse, my digestive quality got lower (my food wasn't digesting well at all), my bile flow stopped (though it's mostly back to normal now) and I just became completely apathetic and more fatigued than before.

I also developed numbness on my right thigh, and the soles of my feet became cracked (I later learned this was a fungal issue apparently). These two symptoms are mostly gone, though I have had the numbness on my thigh if I eat a lot of high thiol/sugar foods and when I took caprylic acid recently. I think this may be die off but I am not sure.

I later learnt when I started doing chelation (andy cutler protocol, I have a reasonable level of Mercury exposure in my life, may be the route cause of my issues) that I was eating foods that would have fertilized the yeast. many don't talk about thiol foods causing candida or SIBO. This came as a surprise to me.

Right now I am trying very hard to get all the necessary tests and treatments done to get myself back to normal before I decline any further. My condition is thankfully very stable for now and I haven't declined much in the past few months. I need to know what kind of treatments or things I can do that can affect a possible SIBO so I can see if that may be an issue for me. I am having a BTS Stool test to look for bacteria and other nasties, but I know this can't diagnose SIBO.

Should I try one of the recommended antibiotics for it? Like Targaxan?