• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should I see Dr. KDM in Belgium or Nevada?

Avengers26

I have an international trip coming up later this year. From reading the forums, it seems that Dr. KDM's charges are 80 euros in Belgium & $700 in nevada, which is substantially different. I can plan a stopover in belgium during my trip. I understand it will be more travel & more hectic / physically strenuous, but for those who have gone to Belgium, would you recommend doing it?

I am in USA & I will have to fly even to go to Nevada. What about the lab testing expenses? Are they the same in both places or cheaper in one place? Thanks.

@Sushi probably can answer this best. But testing should be somewhat cheaper in Belgium, as the labs there are cheaper and one test is only available in Germany. The clinic is also on the edge of Brussels fairly near the airport, so that part could be simple as well.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have an international trip coming up later this year. From reading the forums, it seems that Dr. KDM's charges are 80 euros in Belgium & $700 in nevada, which is substantially different. I can plan a stopover in belgium during my trip. I understand it will be more travel & more hectic / physically strenuous, but for those who have gone to Belgium, would you recommend doing it?

I am in USA & I will have to fly even to go to Nevada. What about the lab testing expenses? Are they the same in both places or cheaper in one place? Thanks.

Hi Avengers26,

I'm in the US too and have seen KDM both in Brussels and in Reno. If you are on the East Coast and can get a direct flight to Brussels (maybe 6 or 7 hours?) that might work better. You have to weigh the difficulty of the travel and jet lag with other factors. When I've flown to Brussels I have stayed about 5 days at the Eurovolley in order to recover a bit before my appointment.

So in Brussels you have probably a longer hotel stay and a less expensive office visit (the first appointment is more than subsequent ones but not much more), ease of making an appointment (I don't think his next visit to Reno is scheduled yet).

As far as labs, I ask him to order routine lab-work separately when I see him in the US--this way my insurance will cover it. But the bulk of the lab-work for a new patient will be done in Europe, whether you see him in Reno or Brussels. This is because Redlabs in Brussels will do the specialized tests that he finds necessary--these are not available at other labs. So the main difference in lab costs would be priority shipping of your blood to Europe.

Office visits are much longer in Reno because there are fewer patients waiting and hotels are cheap in Reno. Even if you see him in Brussels you can ask him to write a separate lab order for tests that can easily be done at a US lab (CBC, liver enymes, thyroid tests--whatever). Your US doctor would then have to rewrite these on US lab forms.

Hope this helps. Look for me on chat sometime and I can tell you more details.

Best,
Sushi