• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shortness of breath

Mij

@Mij This is totally new for me and I was wondering if you could explain (in the dummies version) for me what this organic urine acids test is and how it connects to shortness of breath? As far as I know, I have never been tested for any of these things. What do they mean, how do they relate to SOB, and what is the treatment? Thanks!

In general the urinary organic acids information can tell you if there are metabolic dysfunctions. In general low citric-cycle intermediates could be connected to hypothyroidism or even a carnitine deficiency, but this was not my case because my thyroid was fine. I had a panel of tests done and I was very deficient in vitamins/minerals-co-factors despite eating a very healthy diet. I had a custom formula made up to help balance out all my deficiencies but I can't say I felt that much better.

Also, heavy metals can interfere with co-factors/minerals function by displacing them. Apparently heavy metals can take the place of natural co-factors but don't provide the same effect! The enzymes lose their function. This is why I was interested in Zoe Norris's test results.

My doctor and biochemist concluded that what was causing my low energy production and feeling out of breath was viral and severe mg deficiency despite taking mg/taurine shots one month prior.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
pH alters what is called the oxygen dissociation curve. Initially acidity increases oxygen dumping in acidic areas, so leading to more oxygen where it is needed. Prolonged acidity alters production of a substance needed for oxygen dumping, over hours and days, and leads to lowered oxygen dumping capacity, and hence hypoxia.

Alkaline states do the opposite. Initially the oppose oxygen dumping, then finally they boost the substance (2,3 bpg) needed to dump more oxygen.

I do not recall the exact effect all this has on total oxygen carrying capacity. All these things are response curves, and various factors effect them. They are not linear either.

Thanks for that, @alex3619. I probably studied this years ago but like an awful lot of knowledge it has fallen out of my brain! The ground must be littered with my lost knowledge, unless it falls out at night. :D

I looked up 2,3 bpg and found this page which gives a helpful summary for that - nothing about pH though.