1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Short Sharpe & Nutt 2008 paper on possible side-effects of psychotherapy

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Esther12, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I'd just been sent a link to this free copy: http://www.lefnet.hu/resources/userfiles/file/Rihmer/Nutt -Psychotherapy.pdf

Uncritical positive regard? Issues
    in the efficacy and safety of
    psychotherapy
    David J. Nutt
    Psychopharmacology Unit, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK.
    Michael Sharpe
    School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK

I thought this was a decent paper... although a bit scary that it was being written in 2008.

They look at side-effects like increased risk of suicide, but they don't look at side effects in terms of altering people's beliefs and preferences in ways that are not well understood and that patient have not given prior consent for, which seems like a serious danger with the medicalisation of people's minds and possibly false claims of expertise. Also - they don't talk about the possible social adverse affects that can come from this medicalisation. I know that it's harder to measure outcomes for these sorts of things... but that doesn't mean that they should be assumed to be unimportant.

They talk about the fact that even CBT for anxiety seems to have a poor evidence base compared to what would be expected for a new drug being brought to market, and the low levels of adverse effects which are taken seriously for drug treatments.

It isn't a paper with fascinating new ideas, but I thought I would post a link to it anyway, as it mentioned many of the things which other people here have complained about.

This is their conclusion:

Sean and Simon like this.
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Possible side effects of psychotherapy - now that is a "turn up" for the books. Shifting positions gradually it seems.

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    If this yellow card system becomes an audited and perhaps enforcable standard, its a good thing. If it becomes a vague, unenforceable rubber stamp ... its just more whitewash.

4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Of course the most damaging of all - psychotherapy in the form of CBT as was practised around here - an initial forced introduction of the acceptance of depression. That's if one has managed to crawl out and escape 4 junior Docs and psychiatrist in A&E - we think it's all in your mind.

See more popular forum discussions.