1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Shooting Down the Top 10 Myths from the NHS Online Clinic

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

View the Post on the Blog

View the Post on the Blog
    RustyJ, WillowJ, currer and 13 others like this.
  2. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    Nice going 'partner'. Methinks a certain physio could be 'running for them ther' hills' :) :)
    aimossy, Bob and Valentijn like this.
  3. Legendrew

Legendrew Content team

UK
    Great article - it's unreal what some of these ''experts'' come up with...
    I think credit has to go to Dr. Charles Shepherd for his extensive and sheer number of answers in this clinic.
    Hopefully the sheer volume of questions here will be taken note of with regards to the way ME seems to get shunned.
    WillowJ, Keela Too, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands

I was also very impressed with Dr Shepherd and most of the other experts. They put in an amazing amount of time and effort, and really helped a lot of people.
    WillowJ, biophile, peggy-sue and 3 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Valentijn and Steve Boyle like this.
  6. meandthecat

meandthecat

UK
    Nicely done

Thanks for highlighting the motely collection of predjudice, half-truths and down-right lies peddled by this crew of 'experts' (Dr S a notable exception).

Management/denial/deprivation seem to define our teatment as PWME and the locking down of toublesome comment on the site is perhaps the most telling event exposing the sham nature of the exercise.

I feel like a canary in the medical mine flagging up grave deficiencies in the medical model. Miners didn't try to persuade the little birds they were depressed( though who would blame them) they saw what was happening and ran.
    Not that it helped them in the long run, because the people with the power are not those at the coal face.
    Valentijn and Dolphin like this.
  7. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Re: TYMES and NICE

Several Charities (including TYMES and the ME Association) came out against the NICE guideline. There was a large groundswell against NICE by patients and a challenge in court.

<snip from submission to NICE from TYMES>

OVERALL VIEW OF THE NICE GUIDELINE

The Trust believes that the present draft of the NICE guideline on CFS/ME is unacceptable, and not fit for purpose for patients suffering from ME.

<end>

From memory the ME Association also condemned the NICE guideline as "not fit for purpose".
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, Valentijn - and for your efforts during the clinic to get some straight answers to questions about some of the 'experts' blithely recommending GET. It's very important to challenge these claims with the existing research findings to the contrary when they arise.
    beaker, MeSci, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  9. Steve Boyle

Steve Boyle

A superb article. Dr Charles Shepherd has a card in his hand [I won't refer to it as an 'advantage'] that very few of the propounders of a psychosomatic cause for ME/CFS have; he has had to cope with this debilitating ilness himself for decades. A few short days of experiencing the symptoms themselves and the psychobabblers would rapidly change their opinions.
    beaker, MeSci, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  10. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Valentijn - you are a star - thanks so much for your efforts - super article.
    beaker, Valentijn, Bob and 2 others like this.
  11. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    Good article Valentijn.
    Thank goodness Dr Shepherd was there!

My observation of too many "experts" is that they don't know how to think or reason things through. They seem to have been told what to think and that's that. And like people who are told what to think they can't face being contradicted. It must be true because they have been told it's true so it must be true -- even when the evidence screams a complete contradiction at them.
    beaker, SOC, jimells and 3 others like this.
  12. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    Valentijn I popped your article link onto ME Association Facebook. Dr Shepherd replied:

WillowJ, beaker, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  13. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Yes, some of the experts seemed to understand that ME is very much a physiological disease, and that symptoms most certainly should be treated - but would then also show complete and unquestioning deference to NICE and other sources of authority.

Because they seem to be very intelligent people, my impression is that some of the experts are more or less incapable of (or unwilling to be) disagreeing with authority, even when the reasoning used by that authority to create their recommendations is clearly contradictory to their own observations.

Thus we get health care professionals who acknowledge that we have a physiological disease with serious and disabling symptoms which should be treated, and cannot be cured by changing our beliefs and behaviors. Yet at the same time they also advocate treatments based on a purely psychosomatic hypothesis which emphasizes minimizing investigations and physiological treatments.
    WillowJ, beaker, peggy-sue and 2 others like this.
  14. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    When I saw the name of the author I knew I was in for a good read :thumbsup:
    MeSci, Sparrowhawk and Valentijn like this.
  15. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    nice job Val!!
    Valentijn likes this.
  16. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    Well done and thanks.
    Valentijn likes this.
  17. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Thank you Valentijn. I did not follow the clinic while it was up but you gave an excellent overview. I really liked your style of 10 myths. It was very clear and informative.
    Valentijn likes this.
  18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Bizarre and very troubling stuff, isn't it.
    beaker, jimells, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  19. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    Ah yes, the question of authority.
    It seems that in not being taught how to think, the "intelligent ones" have lost sight of what the true meaning of authority is. To be in a position of authority is to be in position of service. They are supposed to serve others, not force power over them.
    Of course the problem with thinking what you've been told to think, even in the face of all the evidence against it, requires an armour of arrogance. And then we are the ones of the receiving end.
    When it comes to psychological problems (although maybe this is deeper even than that) THEY are the ones that need some serious CBT.
  20. currer

currer Senior Member

Hi everybody, I've just checked out the NHS site - what a piece of blatant propagandising.

Did anyone ask if it was possible to sue a doctor for medical damages following a relapse provoked by exercise programmes such as those promoted by this site?

I'd love to see the "expert's" reaction online.

See more popular forum discussions.