• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shoemaker, Mycotoxins and why anaerobic exercise might cause problems

Dolphin

Just saw this comment:

/The below is by Dr. Shoemaker, the mold pioneer, in an interview by Dr. Mercola. It seemed to be a very apt description of the practical difficulties of exercise in MECFS. Mycotoxin (mold products) damage in humans can show the same symptoms normally shown in MECFS and according to some experts it may well turn out that high levels of mycotoxins are frequently seen in cases of MECFS if appropriate testing is done. This is similar to some of what Dr. Klimas and others have said about exercise and the need to stay below anaerobic levels. It seems worth a read because it is quite neatly explained.
https://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind1302a&L=co-cure&F=&S=&P=4344

on:

If they try to use exercise and do too much, they will very quickly outstrip the delivery of oxygen to mitochondria. So, while this disorder is not a mitochondrial primary disorder, it becomes a secondary mitochondrial problem. We want to let them exercise to the anaerobic threshold, but not beyond. Because if they go beyond, they will start burning protein first after they've wasted glycogen due to anaerobic activity."
... this is important, because if you try to give someone with capillary hypoperfusion, low anaerobic threshold, and low VO2 max, which these illnesses all have; if you put them on an intense exercise program, you will sicken them immediately. You will make them much, much worse. Remember, these people are often short of breath going up four and five steps. We can use exercise as therapeutic protocol over time. And as exercise matches anaerobic threshold or oxygen delivery, we can make them into some of the most vigorous exercises anyone's seen, but you can't start that way."

This is from the section:
An Important Note about Biotoxicity and Response to Exercise

in
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/07/22/mold-and-other-chronic-diseases.aspx

LaurieL

I would also like to add to this if I may, but some of the pathways that are disturbed in CFS/ME are huge contributors to endogenous toxins as well. These are also potent neurotoxins just like mycotoxins. If mold exposure isn't in ones history, or has been ruled out, as mold exposure does not correlate 100% to all cases of CFS/ME, do not discount what we can learn from Dr. Shoemaker and apply that knowledge to other toxin exposures. Whether exogenous, or endogenous. There is a lot to learn from his Biotoxin Pathway.

Thank you for posting this, very good information.

Lauriel