• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shock Therapy?

kurt

One of the benefits of this forum is hearing opposing viewpoints and opinions. Personally I value contributions from all sides of this and every topic discussed here. Please don't be offended when people don't agree with you. CFS patients are often very opinionated, and none of us has all the answers.

The views here suggest that ECT has some high and possibly undisclosed risk factors, but that it has had some positive outcomes as well. I read through the Wiki page on ECT and there is conflicting evidence and controversy about efficacy and side-effects. I personally have had a siezure disorder before and due to that experience would not intentionally inflict a siezure as a 'curative' treatment. However, someone who has benefitted from ECT might hold an opposite opinion. Nobody should take those differences personally, IMHO these differences are just part of how different people interpret the complex and strange reality we live in.