1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Shingles vaccine. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by BEG, Aug 20, 2011.

1. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    I think this is the difficulty for PWME working with uninformed GPs. In my daughter's case, my husband specifically asked the doctor if the chicken pox vaccine would be okay given our daughter's ME/CFS and was told that there are no problems with that vaccine, it's been given for years, yadda, yadda, yadda. They just don't get that what's good for everybody else is not necessarily good for us. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Dr Vernon was speaking more specifically about flu vaccines, which are usually killed virus vaccines. I have a hard time imagining anyone who knows anything about ME/CFS suggesting PWME should intentionally be injected with a live (even attenuated) herpesvirus given how much trouble herpesviruses give us ordinarily.
  2. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    I've had bad vaccine reactions too and have made that same decision so far.
  3. slayadragon

slayadragon Senior Member

twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    I've heard many, many stories of people whose CFS came on or greatly worsened shortly or soon after getting an adult vaccine. The stories that I've heard that vaccines can be problematic to us are convincing to me, while the arguments of "experts" are unconvincing to me. Personally, I would do everything in my power to avoid such vaccines.

Best, Lisa
    Shellbell and Ocean like this.
  4. Shellbell

Shellbell Senior Member

Just to give my two cents worth, my regular doc and practitioners all went over the side effects (more like possible adverse reactions) of vaccinations and both told me to avoid all of them because of my ME/CFS. They also went on to warn against my own children having any further vaccines because of the genetic link.
    slayadragon likes this.
  5. voner

voner Senior Member

I was reading this thread and I want to clarify my comment about talk to Suzanne Vernon.

I was at a meeting in Denver are your two ago and someone asked a question about getting the flu vaccine. Dr. Vernon said that all the experts that she has asked have said to get a vaccine.

I think it's important to keep in mind ME/cfs people are very heterogeneous group.

You might consider asking the question to Dr. Vincent Racaniello, on his virology blog. I'm curious what his answer would be.

BEG: Personally, I stay away from the flu vaccine, but I did get a shingles vaccine. I know this make no sense to many people, but it's a personal decision and humans are not totally logical people.
    WillowJ likes this.
  6. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    voner, thanks for the additional information. If you don't mind, could you tell us how you tolerated the shingles vaccine?
  7. fibrodude84

fibrodude84 Senior Member

I have had shingles, maybe it kicked in my CFS. I'd consider the shingles vaccine if it helped CFS but I can't take live vaccines since I'm immunocompromised.

See more popular forum discussions.