• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shingles again WTF

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Have you ever tried L-lysine, some stories on FB seem to suggest a big dose knocks the herpes out?? I know a small piece of chocolate a couple of weeks ago produced sores within 12hrs so the balance of arginine and l-lysine is definitely finite for me:(

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I remember reading how as you get older you have less stomach acid. And what we think is problem of having too much acid, is actually not enough. That's just sticking in my head.

There is a book called "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You" that provides a lot of information about stomach acid and how many problems can arise from having too little. It talks about the problem of so many people having health problems because they, and their doctors, think they have too much stomach acid. They then take antacids and start having health problems from low stomach acid. Many doctors don't recognize the problems associated with low stomach acid and seem to have a great lack of knowledge of the importance of stomach acid to good health.

ukxmrv

I took Zantac for a few months and had no change to my low stomach acid problem. It didn't worse.

Tammy

@heapsreal............I know you have already gotten a lot of suggestions.....but here are some more! Have you ever tried Lobelia for shingles? Other thoughts......zinc,ALA, L-lysine. The ALA helps repair areas of the nervous system that have been damaged by the shingles virus.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@heapsreal............I know you have already gotten a lot of suggestions.....but here are some more! Have you ever tried Lobelia for shingles? Other thoughts......zinc,ALA, L-lysine. The ALA helps repair areas of the nervous system that have been damaged by the shingles virus.

Haven't heard of lobelia, will look it up. I take zinc and ala all the time and added lysine a few weeks ago but probably need to crank dose higher?

Cheers

heapsreal

How much L-lysine are you taking? I have been on 2,000mgs 2x daily for the last 7 months along with other things and feeling significantly better.

Been taking 1000mg twice a day. A few days at 2000mg twice a day.

Im interested in trying zantac and also a combo of valtrex with famvir.

I guess it just takes time as shingles has crusted, guess its just left me in post viral state.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@leela I wish I wasn't so intolerant to supplements, I would try these immediately, as it is can I afford another supp to maybe sit in my cupboard until out of date :(

Gingergrrl

I tried Zantac (extra strength) 2x/day for MCAS last summer and it did not help me at all. Even though I took it for a different purpose, it also did not change my IgM+ EBV or VZV titers. Just wanted to mention this for whatever it is worth. I never tried Tagamet.

heapsreal

I tried Zantac (extra strength) 2x/day for MCAS last summer and it did not help me at all. Even though I took it for a different purpose, it also did not change my IgM+ EBV or VZV titers. Just wanted to mention this for whatever it is worth. I never tried Tagamet.

At the chemist today, its cheap so got some to try. Only had a 24hr release 300mg pill. See what happens .

I know this thread is older but I wanted to respond because I have used cimetidine (generic Tagamet) to get rid of both shingles and a viral sore throat that lasted 3 months. My pastor got shingles and I recommended it to him and his were gone within a few days also. I have had shingles twice. The first time, I didn't know about cimetidine, and it was horrible. The 2nd time, I took the cimetidine and it cleared up within a few days, with no side effects. I don't understand exactly how it works on the immune system, but it definitely works for me. I got the cheapo generic at Walmart and keep a bottle on hand. Now if I have the slightest twinge on my side, I start popping them.