1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

SHINE Protocol

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Andrew, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Dr. Teitelbaum's SHINE protocol is much maligned. One can read any number of posts here that criticize Dr. Teitelbaum's business practices. I've decided to take a more serious look at his study and his claims.

I read Dr. Teitelbaum's study. He studied Fibro patients and then generalized it out to CFS patients based on the fact that his Fibro subjects also had some CFS symptoms. This is a bad method because there are lots of illnesses that have some symptoms in common with CFS. And I'm not saying that FM and CFS don't have much in common. They do. But CFS and FM patients tend to respond to some treatments differently. Also, the study involved asking people if they felt "much worse, worse, same, better or much better" at the end of the study. We don't know what caused this. For example, he didn't break his subjects into those who were only given sleep aids versus those who were on the entire Shine protocol (which includes sleep aids). It has been my observation that most of us feel much better if we get the sleep under control.

FWIW, there is only one part of the SHINE protocol that was given to all subjects (the rest of the protocol was individualized to specific characteristics of the patients). Your doctor could help you try this part, if you want to. As you can see,, most of it addresses sleep.

See more popular forum discussions.