The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Shilajit attenuates behavioral symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome by modulating the hp axis

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by clive powney, Jul 17, 2012.

1. clive powney

clive powney Senior Member

coventry
  2. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    I think they are confusing general fatigue with CFS

Bob and Enid like this.
  3. adreno

adreno PR activist

Interesting, but I would like to know how shilajit works long term. Things that stimulate the HPA axis have a habit of only working for a short period of time, before the HPAA adapts.

4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)

Yes, it looks like the rats just have general fatigue. They are physically stressed. Physically exhausted at worst.

And I don't really see how it's possible diagnose a rat with CFS anyway, because you can't ask them about muscle and joint pain, headaches, unrefreshing sleep or sore throats etc. :confused: o_O :rolleyes:

I've never heard 'shilajit' before, so I looked it up on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilajit
    It seems like a bizarre substance... It's a naturally occuring mineral substance that "seeps from cracks in mountains"! :eek:
    It looks like there have been quite a number of research papers on it.

5. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Chronic exercise is a fairly common "trigger" in CFS animal studies. At best it mimics overtraining syndrome which may have vague similarities, but I wouldn't put much stock in such studies for CFS. Other methods I've read about include introducing a pathogen or toxin. ScienceDaily.com recently posted an article about a new development in understanding the biology of depression, which also discusses the inadequacies of behavioural measurements in lab animals (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120711134714.htm).

Bob likes this.
  6. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    Yes overtraining syndrome would be a much better description. Whatever those rats had it wasn't chronic, they would have recovered by resting regardless of treatment.

Still at least no weasels were involved :)

Bob likes this.
  7. Tito

Tito Senior Member

it would be against the law to give rats CBT. They are rats and they deserve respect. ;-)

Bob likes this.
  8. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    shilajit IIRC can be a source of lithium

9. Desdinova

Desdinova Senior Member

USA
    That's not CFS nor is it ME that's CF via Over-training. The people who keep doing these garbage studies are either biased, ignorant and need a Super Giant Billboard Spelling out exactly what CFS is and isn't or both.

See more popular forum discussions.