• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severely Depressed from Die-Off/Herx? Probiotics? Virus? Lyme? Co Infection? What's Happening?

ebethc

Hi ljim,

My body is really not liking Neem. It leaves me extremely crashed the next day and worsens my 'adrenal fatigue' -- to the point where I have felt closing to fainting due to excess hunger/weakness. I did want to stay on a different herb before rotating back to Haritaki. Do you believe Oil of Oregano is safe to try? It's the only other herb I have on-hand. I have read some people warning against it due to the fact that it kills all flora -- good and bad.

do you think that Neem disrupts hormones? it sounds like it from your description, and i've read that elsewhere & decided to skip it due to the hormone interruption (not sure which hormones... saw one study that said it impacts LH)

ljimbo423

How do you take Thyme?

Hi ebethc- I take thyme in 500mg capsules I get at Swanson's Vitamins. LINK
It gives me a huge increase in energy when I take it, so now when I increase the dose I only go up 100-200mg at a time.

I've noticed berberine helps my brain fog... any thoughts on why this is? It's subtle, but I'll take what I can get :)

Berberine is a good general anti-inflammatory, but there are also studies that show it's a good anti-inflammatory against activated microglial cells-(immune cells in the brain). I think LPS from the gut cause microglial activation and berberine can help, to some degree, lessen that and that could help with brain fog. I hear you, every little bit helps!:) LINK

One more thing I want to try: the L Sakei / Kimchi protocol from lactobacto blog... have you tried this?

I have not tried that. The amount of probiotics in kimchi etc can vary a lot. I am very sensitive to supplement dosage changes, so I try to keep everything on an even keel, as much as possible. Which isn't easy when I'm continually trying new things to improve my health!:)o_O If you tolerate things like that, it might be worth a try. I have heard really good things about fermented foods and it's my goal to eventually rely on those instead of supplements.

Just a little side note here, something you might be interested in. For a long time now I have noticed that I often get a boost of energy for a day or 2 after I start or go up on the dosage of anti-microbial herbs. Often it's very substantial and welcome. I think I have just figured out why after years of trying.

I think I have a low innate immune system because, fighting LPS for years, in my bloodstream, wore it out. When I take an antimicrobial herb, it kills off a bunch of bacteria in my gut, significantly increasing the LPS in my bloodstream and therefore boosting my innate immune system reaction to them.

Temporarily balancing my immune system and making me feel dramatically better! I think the boost in my immune system and energy is temporary because the LPS levels go back to normal after 2-3 days. I just started taking Reishi to boost my innate immune system in hopes that I can help to maintain more immune system balance with it and therefore, more energy and feel better in general.

I have taken Reishi before but I think the dose was too high for immune modulation. I was taking high doses of Reishi, Cordyceps and Astragalus (12-15gms a day) to help fight off colds and flu's. I think balancing my immune system is going to take a much more conservative approach.

Jacque

About a month ago I started to get really depressed. I've been having a lot of health problems for the past 5 months, but my mood had remained relatively good until last month. I've been on a lot of antidepressants over the past 15 years so I know when they're working and when they're not, but I still considered that possibility initially. My AD was working so well in fact that sometimes I actually felt stoned (and no I didn't smoke anything). Maybe there was some synergy with my supplements, but it was mostly the anti depressant. Aside from increasing serotonin, Prozac actually has dopaminergic properties.

I've been considering other options and the one that seems most likely is this. I started to get depressed right around the same time I began taking probiotics. I had been taking probiotics before, but I stopped for the month. I've also been taking prebiotics which some people say can make probiotics significantly more effective. I've heard that probiotics can cause a herx/die-off/Herxheimer effect in some people. And then some people experience depression from herx caused by antibiotics, antifungals, probiotics, antivirals, etc. I'm 98% sure I have Lyme disease so I was if when I started taking the probiotics if they triggered some kind of reaction in my body which is now fighting something. I'm also taking a few supplements for the immune system, but I'm not sure how they work. I've noticed when I've taken Pau D'Arco tea I've sometimes been depressed or moody, but it passed relatively quickly that I can't be sure if it was caused by that or not. I'd like to know
1. Is any of this possible?
2. Why is it happening?
3. What can I do about it?
I recently started on a bunch of new supplements to lower ammonia and histimine.. I have been taking 4to 6 capsules of Arabinogalactin.. And I have become like suicidal Lee depressed! I was literally reading about Dr. Kavorkians books online... I'm going completely off of it for a week and see what happens with my mental status… I'm usually one that can stay in the moment and try not to obsess about my dismal future… But I've been unable to do that lately! I hope you are feeling better

Jacque

I recently started on a bunch of new supplements to lower ammonia and histimine.. I have been taking 4to 6 capsules of Arabinogalactin.. And I have become like suicidal Lee depressed! I was literally reading about Dr. Kavorkians books online... I'm going completely off of it for a week and see what happens with my mental status… I'm usually one that can stay in the moment and try not to obsess about my dismal future… But I've been unable to do that lately! I hope you are feeling better
Also... you definitely sound Lymie! That is the pandemic no one wants to talk about!!! Igenexlabs.com Is the only accurate test I'm aware of and it's quite affordable now