• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe pain in thighs

Stone

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions and support. I finally did get a diagnosis of Meralgia Paresthetica. Now I want to figure out why I have it. I don't do any of the things that are said to cause it. I'm studying it more to see what I can find out. Meanwhile, the doctors are NOW willing to do something about this pain. All of a sudden they believe me how bad this hurts. Amazing. Like maybe I was lying before? Hysterical perhaps? What did they think, that I have nothing better to do with my life? Okay, shutting up now.

BEG

Stone,

I'm very glad for you that you have a diagnosis now. I read up on the condition because I've experienced similar pain. Mine began when my doctor treated POTS and I could stand more often. I especially felt that outer thigh pain. It was a very curious feeling. Since a relapse of 10 days has forced me to recline, the pain went away. I already take lyrica, but didn't notice any help. Ibuprofen helped more. Please let us know how you do.

kerrilyn

I was diagnosed with that, after a nerve conduction test - or something like that - many years ago. I get the burning sensation and numbness in that outer thigh area too, usually at night. It is very painful. When I touch the skin on my outer thighs it just feels odd and unpleasant and not like it does in any other place.

About 30 years ago a nurse jabbing me in the thigh following surgery and injured the nerve. I couldn't stand to have pants rub against the area for about 15 years. I thought that was the reason I had the problem because for the longest time it was just the one leg, but then I started to get the same problem in the other thigh too. I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease when I was about 22, and then came sacroiliac joint problems so I figured that had something to do with the nerve problems in the leg too. .....everything is connected....

Also look into Iliotibial band syndrome, similar pain I think. The IT band can get tight and pain with radiate in that area, there are some stretches to help that. It's always nice to have a name for what is ailing you, hopefully you will get some help now.

ixchelkali

I've had that pain, too, where you can actually feel the nodules on the muscles. What I've found helpful to relieve pain is the technique in The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Claire Davies http://www.aboutmecfs.org/Store/Bookstore.aspx. It hurts some while you're doing it, but then that overall ache that's beyond an ache lets up. Once I got the hang of it from the book, I no longer followed their trigger points; I know what it feels like when I hit one, so I just prod around until I hit the sweet spot (ow!), press on it the way the book describes, and then move to the next. If I don't keep it up regularly, it can take several days to get the relief to last. For me, it hasn't been a cure, but as a treatment it has worked better than anything else I've tried. I do wish I had someone trained in the technique to do the spots on my back and butt; they're awkward to reach.

I find that magnesium helps, too. If you can't take it orally, soaking in Epsom salt baths (1% solution) daily allows it to be absorbed through the skin. A 1% solution would be about 3 cups Epsom salts to 15 gallons of water.