• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

severe osteoporosis

MEKoan

ETA: Sorry this is so long! It seems to be confusing people whom I have left thinking I had posted a question. And, because I wrote such a looooong post, I just can't go back and try to figure out where I misled. So, I hope to share this info so that others may not have to reinvent this particular wheel. I'm good with my plan and feel optimistic. Well, I feel optimistic about my bones. ;0)
Again, sorry about the length! Said the Bishop to the...

I have had severe osteoporosis since I was 38 following a hysterectomy/oophorectomy at 33 for severe endometriosis which began at 29 mere weeks after I came down with ME. The osteoporosis was discovered when I fell while skating (during a period of much reduced ME symptoms) and broke my pelvis and my radial head. I was treated with Fosamax which coincided with an increase in ME symptoms (I have no idea if the Fosamax was causal in any way) and was discontinued. I then pretty much ignored it for a couple of decades. Then... ice is not my friend and I fell on ice and broke my shoulder 3 years ago, fell on ice and smashed my wrist and two arms bones 2 years ago, and fell on ice and injured (but I'm not convinced I broke it as the X-rays were inconclusive) my other shoulder. After the first break, I had a bone density test which indicated that, in many locations, I hovered around -4.2. That is a terrible, awful, very bad score. I'm very reluctant to take the bisphosphinates (sp?) as many experience pain as a side effect, there is something called atypical femur fracture which has occurred to patients, and it can result in osteo-necrosis of the jaw following dental surgery which is a problem for me as I have teeth with old root canals which may need to be removed at some point (two were removed last Sept.). My endo has hooked me up with the Forteo people to see if I can get it on compassionate grounds. I'm torn. I don't know if I want them to say yea or nay.

For the past 18 months, I have taken cal/mag, D3 (I was very low), Vit K - both mk4 and mk7, and strontium citrate.
Strontium is a metal which is laid down in the bones and is heavier than calcium. So, part of any improvement is because DXA scan results will improve simply because the bones will look more dense. But, strontium also improves osteoblast activity and, maybe, inhibits osteoclast activity

After one year on Strontium Citrate, my bone density improved from -4.2 (terrible, terrible, terrible!) to -3.7 (only terrible!). That's a huge improvement in one year. Huge! Of course, some of that will be simply the heavier weight of Strontium. But, some of it will be actual increased density. I'm kinda hoping that I am not approved for compassionate use Forteo until at least I can have a 2 year DXA to see how much more I have gained.

http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/guide/strontium-treatment-osteoporosis
What Is Strontium?
Strontium is a trace element found in seawater and soil. In your diet, you get it mainly from seafood, but you can also get small amounts of it in whole milk, wheat bran, meat, poultry, and root vegetables.

Strontium is chemically similar to calcium. It appears to play a role in how your body makes new bone while slowing the breakdown of old bone, so it may impact your bone density. There is some evidence that women with osteoporosis may not absorb strontium as they should.

You can buy forms of the element, such as strontium citrate, as nutritional supplements in supermarkets and health food stores.

supplements in the same way as prescription drugs, so it's not always possible to know if the product you’re taking works well or how much of the active ingredient it really has.

The above was from a neutral source but Strontium is a big topic on the osteoporosis boards. The board I find the most useful is: https://www.inspire.com/groups/national-osteoporosis-foundation/

There is, of course, a wide range of participants on the forum. Some are very medically oriented and some are very supplement oriented and some, like myself, are very results based, follow the studies and adopt that which has a successful study, even when not entirely conclusive, so long as the subject of study was relatively safe. The Japanese study info guided my MK7 and 4 choice. There are a lot of very intelligent people on the forum who are generous with information, links, advice... not all of which should be taken, of course.

Do check out the Inspire group. One of the things I found most surprising was the number of relatively young people who were extremely active and sporty and who still, sometimes quite young, developed osteoporosis. That made me feel less guilty about my lack of exercise. If there is some link between osteoporosis and ME, I would not be surprised but in my case (very early surgical menopause, strong family history of osteoporosis, etc.) I'm not banking on it. Although, even in my case there may be a link as the endometriosis that led to the hysterectomy is linked to ME, statistically speaking, so... who knows.

Big hello to anyone who is still here and who was here when I was last!

Peace out
MEkoan

Last edited:

Countrygirl

Welcome back, Koan! :bouquet: I have often wondered what was happening to you and I am so sorry to hear of your osteo problems. I don't know how you cope with it. ME is more than enough to struggle with, but I for one have found that as we pass the first flush of youth :D......again................we develop other diseases that most of our peers escape.

Thank you for mentioning the possible problems with dentistry. I too have osteo and never thought to warn my dentist, but, thanks to you, I will do so now.

I hope some people here can help answer your questions.

MEKoan

Hi Countrygirl :0) I can only manage to keep up with one virtual location and have been using Facebook.

I have found is that my non-ME friends are gathering up all the same crotchets of age and are catching up with me! Ok, most aren't actually catching up but some are! Poor them :0( But, I find as friends get old and worn out, they understand what I've been dealing with since I was young. Small mercy there.

I don't think I asked any questions, did I? I had hoped just to share the info and let people know about Inspire as a source of good info.

Take good care of Countrygirl!

Last edited:

MEKoan

Hi @MEKoan

I am unclear why you can not get Forteo, which is a PTH drug made exactly for the condition you have described? Are you saying your pharmacy coverage doesn't pay for it? Here is the link to Lilly and you can call them directly to find about their assist programs.

http://www.lillytruassist.com/

Very few insurance schemes will pay for Forteo and certainly not my gov. disability insurance. The price for Forteo is nearly $2000 per month. As I wrote, my endo and others in the bone clinic are doing all they can to get compassionate use for me and I have been talking to Forteo for several weeks. Forteo offered 50% off which would equal just about my total months income. If I don't get it for free, I will have to decline. And, as I said, I think I may be more relieved than disappointed if that happens because of my suspected success with Strontium and my concerns about Forteo.

We'll see what happens.

Countrygirl

I Countrygirl :0) I can only manage to keep up with one virtual location and have been using Facebook.

I have found is that my non-ME friends are gathering up all the same crotchets of age and are catching up with me! Ok, most aren't actually catching up but some are! Poor them :0( But, I find as friends get old and worn out, they understand what I've been dealing with since I was young. Small mercy there.

I don't think I asked any questions, did I? I had hoped just to share the info and let people know about Inspire as a source of good info.

Take good care of Countrygirl!

Hi Koan, your 'well' friends are in poorer nick than mine then. Mine are still moor walking, having foreign holidays and playing sport. I'm still mostly on my sofa with an interesting collection of nasty autoimmune diseases thrown in, not to mention arthritis, tendonitis,osteo and others I won't mention in public.

No. you are right, you didn't ask a question. Oh oops! Add hallucinations to the above mix.:)

MEKoan

Hi Koan, your 'well' friends are in poorer nick than mine then. Mine are still moor walking, having foreign holidays and playing sport. I'm still mostly on my sofa with an interesting collection of nasty autoimmune diseases thrown in, not to mention arthritis, tendonitis,osteo and others I won't mention in public.

No. you are right, you didn't ask a question. Oh oops! Add hallucinations to the above mix.:)

Yes, I have a ton of friends like that, too, but I try to focus on the ones who are falling apart and there are more of those every day ;0)

Groggy Doggy

@MEKoan

My mind has been 'out to lunch' all day, so thanks for being patient with your clarification :( Do you know if the same thing is true with the other PTH drug called Natpara (Shire(NPS Pharm))? I also tried to work with Lilly, but didn't make any progress. I would have taken the 50% discount, if offered to me. You did a great job getting that far, I am impressed! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you and I hope you keep us posted on your progress!

MEKoan

No worries, Groggy Doggy. I am not having a brilliant brain day either so who knows which of us was more confused.

I'm sorry you didn't have any luck. I don't know anything about Natpara. Are you hypoparathyroid, GD? Or is it also used for osteoporosis. I see it carries the maybe risk of osteosarcoma which Forteo also does. If you are interested in it for osteoporosis, do check out the Inspire forum I linked above. Lots of smart and experienced people.

Take care of GD :0)

Groggy Doggy

No worries, Groggy Doggy. I am not having a brilliant brain day either so who knows which of us was more confused.

I'm sorry you didn't have any luck. I don't know anything about Natpara. Are you hypoparathyroid, GD? Or is it also used for osteoporosis. I see it carries the maybe risk of osteosarcoma which Forteo also does. If you are interested in it for osteoporosis, do check out the Inspire forum I linked above. Lots of smart and experienced people.

Take care of GD :0)
@MEKoan

Both Natpara and Forteo are similar in that both are synthetic PTH. I read that Forteo is (human PTH 1-34) and Natpara (recombinant human PTH 1-84); I have no idea what that means but it sounds very scientific :)

Natpara has been around only a short time. It is made by NPS Pharmaceuticals who got bought out by Shire.

Shire is next on my list to call to see if they have any programs that assist low income individuals.

I seem to be low on PTH. After taking Forteo for only 3 weeks straight (to date), I can see some small positive results already. It feels wonderful to see anything encouraging happening with my health. I want to continue taking PTH for a longer period time, but the cost is too high when paying out of pocket. I found Costco to be the lowest price at $2025 per month for Forteo. I read all of the possible side effects of Forteo (bone cancer). They are better than the possible side effects of the heart medications I used to take (death) :(

I hope you get offered Forteo for free, even if you decline it. It would atleast show a precedence that Lilly has a heart :heart:

MEKoan

Hi GD,
Are you taking forteo for hypoparathyroid, osteoporosis, or something else? Do you think it has a positive effect for you because of your parathyroid condition, or something else, or ME. If it's helping the ME, maybe I should reconsider. Of course, if I reconsidered, they'd be sure to say no ;0)

In my case, I did not contact anyone. My endo and the head hospital pharmacist wrote letters and have been agitating on my behalf. I've had a couple of phone calls with someone very nice. I think it is probably different when a doc. applies for you. Can you get your doc. on it? Of course, there is probably only the slimmest of slim chances that I will get it.

I'm so sorry that cannot access something that made you feel so much better :0(

Take care of GD!

xrayspex

my rheumatologist just recommended prolia for osterpenia---does anyone know much about that? he said there shouldnt be any side effects because it is an antibody, but when I google it it sounds like can have similar risks to other treatment, jaw issues etc and I have recently had 2 teeth extracted and at risk for more as I age
http://www.rxlist.com/prolia-side-effects-drug-center.htm

altho this thread says why it could be a treatment for ME
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/homefield-advantage.1515/

Groggy Doggy

my rheumatologist just recommended prolia for osterpenia---does anyone know much about that? he said there shouldnt be any side effects because it is an antibody, but when I google it it sounds like can have similar risks to other treatment, jaw issues etc and I have recently had 2 teeth extracted and at risk for more as I age
/
I took Prolia and had no side effects. The reason I stopped, was my health insurance would not pay for it.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Anyone taken Forteo? I notice it says on the info page that it shouldn't be taken for more than 2 years. So the effects are long lasting? Anyone able to explain this for me.

xrayspex

my rheumatologist said the good thing about Prolia compared to the biophosphonates is that it doesn't stay in your system long term but there is evidence the other class does or may and he said they don't know the ramifications of that
I will have to ask him about forteo, I don' think he mentioned that one as option

MEKoan

Anyone taken Forteo? I notice it says on the info page that it shouldn't be taken for more than 2 years. So the effects are long lasting? Anyone able to explain this for me.

Hi Maryb,
The effects of Forteo begin to wear off as soon as it is stopped unless there was an underlying cause of the bone loss has also been addressed. Most people finish Forteo and go on one of the other bone drugs, usually a bisphosphonate, thereafter.

Xrayspex, I would think long and hard before treating osteopenia with any of the available drugs.

Please check https://www.inspire.com/groups/national-osteoporosis-foundation/ which is an excellent source of good information from a range of intelligent posters. They link to all the relevant research and have members who understand it.

I recently heard, again, from Forteo. They offered the same 50% reduction which is still not an option for me. And, as I said before, I'm unconvinced that it is a better option than what I am currently doing. I am relieved every time they deny me. My choice to treat my severe and longstanding osteoporosis is Strontium Citrate which costs me $25 per mo. There is a lot of info on Strontium on the Inspire website.

I can't recommend the Inspire site too strongly for anyone considering treatment for Osteoporosis.

Last edited: