• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe Bone Loss Over Short Period Of Time : New Osteoporosis

After doing very well for many years, I am not doing well again. Sick all the time; weak and tired. I am a nutritionist and personal trainer, self employed. I have done all the right vitamins, supplements, and exercise to prevent bone loss and osteoporosis.
Went to my primary care MD for illness and he had me do a repeat dexa scan which showed a 16% bone loss in 2 1/2 years. All in spite of a plant based alkaline diet, years of normal ph urines, normal Ca, D3, K2, magnesium, boron, selenium, supplementation, etc. All bloods normal forever on those. No med side effects. So, my immune defficiency is worse, and I have severe bone loss, in danger of breaking a hip, for no apparant reason. Did not want to, but for now, went on Boniva, until cause of bone loss can be determined. Will test all hormones. Am sure they are low, I am 54. I am worried. I have read that immune deficiencies that are NOT HIV should have bone marrow testing done. Because this is FM/CFIDS, it was never done. I have been sick since 1989. Can this illness actually go the bones, like other forms of cancer? I would never do radiation or chemo. Opinions.. please??

wciarci

Wenderella
warnings about boniva, fosamax

Hi sicktoolong,

Sorry to hear about the bone loss. I am assuming that you take D3, magnesium, calcium? I have heard that the three need to be taken together? My sister just told me of new problems with fosamax and boniva:

Actonel, Boniva, Didronel, Fosamax and Skelid are all oral bisphosphonates. Aredia, Bonefos and Zometa are administered intravenously. Depending on which drug you are taking, and the condition for which you are being treated, bisphosphonates may be administered once per day, weekly, or monthly.
Over the past several years, bisphosphonates have been associated with a number of side effects, including:

Severe Musculoskeletal Pain
Osteonecrosis of the Jaw/Dead Jaw Syndrome
Femur Fractures
Esophageal Cancer
Atrial Fibrillation

I would get a second opinion on this and talk to someone who specializes in restoring bone density. Goodluck

Wendy

perchance dreamer

Building bone

I can tell you some things I've learned from my bone experience.

I'm 53 and have osteopenia and the beginnings of osteoporosis, according to my DEXA last August.

I'm not doing the drugs. I have a fabulous nutritionist, and we came up with a program with my integrative doctor's input.

I had a bone resorption test and will have another one soon. You can have this test about every 3 to 4 months, and it will indicate whether you are on the right track with changes you've made. It's a urine test. This will give you feedback before having to wait a year to repeat a DEXA.

My nutritionist said the best form of calcium to take is calcium from algae. It's the only one clinically proven to build bone, not just stop bone loss.

The brand I'm taking is Grow Bone by Vitamin Code. It has the calcium from algae, the full spectrum of other bone nutrients you need, and a separate strontium supplement you take at night, some hours away from the calcium, which you take twice a day.

I also take separate supplements related to bone growth. One is magnesium.

My nutritionist said that people with osteoporosis should take magnesium in a 1-1 ratio with calcium. He said it should be a high quality magnesium such as Xymogen OptiMag 125 or Ionic Fizz Magnesium Plus. He recommends forms such as glycinate and malate.

He also said to take some of the magnesium during the day when you take the calcium.

I've also started back on a weight program at the gym. I had several sessions with a trainer who has worked with people with bone problems.

On days I don't work out at the gym, I walk in a weight vest, which also builds bone.

I think it's also important to truly believe you can turn your situation around and heal a bone problem. There are many different ways people use to influence their subconscious. I use EFT.

A great web site for bone health information is betterbones.com.

And it's a great idea to have your hormones tested and get on bioidentical hormones if they are low.

Good luck!

rlc

Hi, Sicktoolong and perchance dreamer, Osteoporosis/Osteopenia plus chronic fatigue equals one of these 25 possible diagnoses http://en.diagnosispro.com/differen...uses-chronic-fatigue/11140_25271-154_154.html Alot of the conditions are serious and easily mistaken for CFS, you need a proper doctor to find the cause, they are not the kind of illnesses you use suppliments for.

Osteoporosis or Osteopenia are not in any diagnostic criteria for cfs, and if they were symptoms of it everybody whould have them, please don't take risks with your health by making the assumption that they are related to CFS.

If you want to post more symptoms i will see if i can narrow the list down a bit, or if you want to learn how to use this diagnostic software yourself instructions are here http://en.diagnosispro.com/diagnosispro_help/generate_a_differential_diagnosis_list/ or take this list to your doctors and get them to investigate all the conditions.

All the best I hope the cause is found soon!