• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

severe anxiety... reallyreallyreally need some help :(

Arius

I am building an anti-anxiety toolbox. Some of these things may not be achievable for everyone right now, but I will include them anyway in case there are other folks on here who are anxious as well. Here's what I've got so far:

Dr. Andrew Weil claims that this simple breathing technique is the most effective anti-anxiety tool he knows. When people's minds start to fly, their breath becomes short and rapid. Slowing your breath will calm your mind.

Sleep is super important because your body produces serotonin, a natural anti-anxiety and anti-depressant hormone, while you are sleeping. If you are awake at night, you're not producing enough serotonin and you will get anxious and depressed. IT'S CRUCIAL TO BE ASLEEP BY 11PM. I know that's hard for us, but there are things you can do to try to make that happen. I've posted about it elsewhere. There's a video here by Dr. John Bergman that features pro tips on breaking insomnia. (You can skip to 26:47 if you don't want to watch the whole video.)

Super-hero pose. Might be hard or impossible if you're totally bedridden, but if you adopt an open-chest Superhero posture, this has been shown to dramatically reduce anxiety. I imagine it might be helpful even just to imagine yourself in this posture.

Meditation. Focussing on your breath, counting, MBSR, whatever. Meditating teaches you to detach from your thoughts and relax. I'm sure you can easily find meditation resources online.

Diet. It sounds like you've tried eliminating certain foods? Common foods contributing to anxiety are sugar and caffeine, obvs. Try to eat local organic produce whenever possible. Your body needs the nutrients that are missing in industrial food.

Affirmations and Guided Imagery. If you tell your brain that you are calm and happy and safe, it will believe you, and it will set off a cascade of positive changes to your body's electrical, chemical, hormonal, etc systems which will calm you and improve your health. It is absolutely critical to talk back to the negative voice in your head. Be your own best friend. If you follow the guided imagery link, you will learn how to relax your body from head to toe.

Anxious thoughts are invariably about the future. Depressed thoughts are about the past. Happiness is in the present. Be here in your body now. (Although I do also find it calming to imagine my bed is a raft and I am floating down a tranquil river on a bright sunny day... but I am still in the present moment, just in a different place.)

Visualizations. Think of a place where you once experienced serenity. Maybe a beach, ie. Imagine yourself there in the richest multi-sensory detail possible. Take a deep breath and relax the muscles in your face, neck, and shoulders.

Herbs. Valerian root tea is soothing, and inhaling lavender is also intensely calming. I also drip Frankincense and Lavender essential oils onto my pillow case before I got to sleep at night. Ashwagandha counters the harmful biological effects of stress, improves sleep, and reduces anxiety. Google calming herbs if you want to know more.

Gratitude journalling. If negative thoughts are contributing in any way to your anxiety, try this: every day, think of three things that you are grateful for. If possible, write them down. After a few weeks of doing this, you will start to notice a transformation towards more positive and happy thoughts.

Journalling in general. The simple act of writing out your thoughts makes them less scary.

Baths, especially when combined with herbs, are very soothing.

Qigong is recommended for those who are not bed-bound.

Walking. When you are anxious, your fight-or-flight system has been triggered and your body wants to flee. The best thing to do, if you are able, is to let it. Running would be optimal, but I doubt there's anyone on this message board who is up for that. But maybe going for a slow walk? Or just getting a bit silly with your body? Even yelling might help.

Touch. Human contact reduces anxiety. If possible, ask a friend for a massage, back rub, or hug. Sex is also very anxiety-reducing. (Even if it's just with yourself.)

Draw. A lot of people I know are getting into this. Draw, doodle, colour. Mandalas are potent symbols of order.

If you have specific fears that are driving the anxiety, it is important to confront them. You can handle whatever comes your way! I'm running out of steam here, but there are lots of tools online for building a fear hierarchy and conquering anxieties.

Thought-stopping. Pick a really happy thought that you can leap to when you're anxious. When you feel yourself spinning into a negative doom-hole, say "STOP" to yourself. Then try to leap to the happy thought that you've selected. This might be hard or impossible at first, but eventually with practice you will learn to do it. This technique ended about a decade of OCD hell for me, and has made my whole life a million times better.

Good luck!

Marc_NL

Does anybody know the difference between GABA and Pharma GABA or tried them both?

The two differences I see is that Pharma GABA is claimed to be "natural" and that it is much more expensive.

I am taking these now for a few days:
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-pharmagaba-100-mg-60-chwbls

They have a positive effect but only for a few hours, so I want to try higher doses, thinking about ordering this powder:
http://www.powdercity.com/products/gaba-powder-supplement

Seems as if Pharma GABA tabs are about 50 times more expensive than GABA powder per gram :eek:

I'm not sure what your tolerance would be for this suggestion, but marijuana might be worth considering. It can reduce anxiety, and reduce the head buzz from overactive brain activity. Plus it can be very helpful in promoting sleep.

alice111

Does anybody know the difference between GABA and Pharma GABA or tried them both?

The two differences I see is that Pharma GABA is claimed to be "natural" and that it is much more expensive.

I am taking these now for a few days:
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-pharmagaba-100-mg-60-chwbls

They have a positive effect but only for a few hours, so I want to try higher doses, thinking about ordering this powder:
http://www.powdercity.com/products/gaba-powder-supplement

Seems as if Pharma GABA tabs are about 50 times more expensive than GABA powder per gram :eek:

I use the one from powder city and its AWESOME

Marc_NL

@alice111
Some supplements that have helped me with anxiety are:
  • Ashwagandha, great calming/balancing effect (2x 300mg)
  • GABA, good anxiolytic effect (2x 250mg)
  • Valerian, calming, and good for sleep (2-3x 250mg)
  • Passion flower (500-1000mg)
  • Niacinamide (vit B3) 100mg. People with no methylation issues can use higher doses
  • B complex
  • High dose vitamin C ( > 2g / day)
  • Zinc (30-45mg)
  • Tryptophan (500-1000mg / day)
You don't necessarily need to use them all together, I take the nutritional supplements every day + Ashwaghanda which also helps my weak immune function.

I take the herbs and the GABA when I feel too anxious or can't sleep etc... If took all of those together they would put me to sleep for 48 hours straight :)

@PeterPositive
Is the Ashwaganda normally working directly or do you need to build this up for days or weeks?

I have been taking the Ashwaganda from PowderCity for three days now (evening 300mg):
http://www.powdercity.com/products/ashwagandha-extract-powder-dosage

Until now I don't notice anything (besides the taste :eek:)
Maybe this is not the right thing for me and I should move on to the next?

What do you think?
Just quit taking it, continue or take a higher dose?

u&iraok

I don't know if anyone is following this thread, but I wanted to
2.) I have hesitated to post because things so often work at first, then stop working... But the past week has been A MILLION times better since starting high dose GABA (thank you @ahmo !!!)
Fingers crossed that this sticks...
Is there any chance of building up a tolerance to GabA ?
I am mildly jubilant and mildly terrified that by next week it will have stopped working...
But I'm going to basque in the glory of a few anxiety free days for now

Thank you for all the support and posts, I really appreciate it.

I'm so glad the GABA is working for you. I had anxiety that was relieved by supplements for the GABA and Serotonin transmitters. Besides gaba I also took Kavinace ( Taurine and 4-amino-3-phenylbutyric acid HCl) and theanine and they helped tremendously. Along with St. John's Wort and tryptophan I no longer have anxiety except if I overdo it.

I've been trying to recover from a trip that I took the weekend before last and I had that overstimulated, tight-brain-can't-relax feeling and I took these things. I also am trying Bach Flower Remedies. These things work like drugs, man! Flowers? Who knew! I have been taking Bach's Rescue Sleep for when I would wake up at 5:00 am with anxiety and racing brain and it just blanks my mind so I can sleep. So this weekend I tried Vervain:
Helps You to Relax When You are Over Enthusiastic or Strongly Driven [not me, my brain!]
  • For Naturally Occurring Nervous Tension

And it worked! I have always loved flowers, now I respect them, lol.

PeterPositive

@PeterPositive
Is the Ashwaganda normally working directly or do you need to build this up for days or weeks?

I have been taking the Ashwaganda from PowderCity for three days now (evening 300mg):
http://www.powdercity.com/products/ashwagandha-extract-powder-dosage

Until now I don't notice anything (besides the taste :eek:)
Maybe this is not the right thing for me and I should move on to the next?

What do you think?
Just quit taking it, continue or take a higher dose?
It usually works pretty fast, within the first 3 doses.
Efficacy may depend on the dosage and extract type. I use SeekingHealth's product which is quite strong at 5% whitanolides, 420mg per caps.

http://www.seekinghealth.com/ashwagandha-extract-ashwagandha-herb.html

Marc_NL

It usually works pretty fast, within the first 3 doses.
Efficacy may depend on the dosage and extract type. I use SeekingHealth's product which is quite strong at 5% whitanolides, 420mg per caps.

http://www.seekinghealth.com/ashwagandha-extract-ashwagandha-herb.html

I'm not sure what whitanolides percentage means but I guess I can take a double dose than since there is only 2,5% in the one I'm taking.
Also they recommend 500 mg 2 or 3 times a day so I think I was a bit to cautious.

PeterPositive

I'm not sure what whitanolides percentage means but I guess I can take a double dose than since there is only 2,5% in the one I'm taking.
Also they recommend 500 mg 2 or 3 times a day so I think I was a bit to cautious.
Sorry, the whitanolides % represents the amount of active ingredient extracted from the plant. Typically it's in the range of 3% to 5%.

Marc_NL

Sorry, the whitanolides % represents the amount of active ingredient extracted from the plant. Typically it's in the range of 3% to 5%.

Thanks, I will increase the dose than.

Do you open the capsules since you take 300 mg dose or are you using an other brand since the post I quoted above?
If so, do you experience much difference in brands?

PeterPositive

Thanks, I will increase the dose than.

Do you open the capsules since you take 300 mg dose or are you using an other brand since the post I quoted above?
If so, do you experience much difference in brands?
The previous version of SeekingHealth's Ashwaganda was 300mg, now it's 420mg. I take the whole capsule.

cheers