Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Seven MLV subgroups with different symptoms

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by RustyJ, Aug 25, 2010.

1. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Noosaville, Aust
    Found this statement on WPI Facebook. Does anyone have any further info on it?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whittemore-Peterson-Institute/154801179671

Second post down

2. Ash

Ash aka @smashman42 'SortaDerpy' on Twitter

Kerr's work was 7 human genetic expression patterns matching different symptom patterns within ME/CFS patients, as a guess I would think those variations/patterns would be linked more to pattern co-infections rather than MLV strains, but no one followed it up & Kerr's funding disappeared.

3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Hi Rusty.. its noting to do with MLV but rather seven different gene expression subgroups. He had a study published on a couple of years ago. He found that different gene expressions had different symptom complexes.

4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
  5. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Noosaville, Aust
    Thanks guys. So no one yet has attempted to differentiate symptoms according to MLV type. Correct?

6. LaurieM

LaurieM

UK
    The original study can be found here (abstract only) http://jcp.bmjjournals.com/content/61/6/730.abstract

I did download the full paper when it was first published, but it is filed somewhere on my main PC - and my filing suffers as much as me from brain fog :ashamed:

7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    not yet.. they arent as far as that.

8. muffin

muffin Senior Member

Although I respect and appreciate Dr. Kerr for his work on genetics and CFS/ME, those 7 subgroups and symptoms just don't work for me. I fit in several subgroups. And, as others stated, this was old research and has nothing to do with the PNAS findings. Maybe Dr. Kerr will be able to work with WPI and hit the genes, immune system responses, and the MLV responsible for the viral type in each person. Our strong scienc types can weigh in on this one.

9. LaurieM

LaurieM

UK
    I guess any research is good research as long as it is biologically based - Dr Kerr is unusual for a UK researcher in that he doesn't seem to have been hampered by the Weasel :Retro wink:

When I first read this study a couple of years ago I could immediately put myself into group 7 (unfortunately the worst), although I don't suffer from anxiety/depression which he describes!

I agree with 'muffin' and I hope that, given the resources, Dr. Kerr will now move his efforts towards retrovirus research - after all, the link between retroviruses and genetics seems to be evident in ME from the latest studies.

10. muffin

muffin Senior Member

Didn't Dr. Kerr lose funding and/or his job in the UK? Where is he now, does anyone know??? I would hope that WPI would grab him as he would bring so much to the table.
    Where IS Dr. Jonathan Kerr????

11. jimbob

jimbob ME/CFS84-XMRV+

myrtle beach, s.c.
    He must be hanging out with Waldo?

12. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    We don't know yet Muffin. I hope that (like much of the UK) he is off abroad sitting on a beach right now. The last we heard from him was when he replied to a patients email on his last day at work (Fri Aug 13th). People are trying to contact him.

See more popular forum discussions.