• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Serotonin research

hixxy

It says neither. All it says is that autoimmunity against the serotonin (5-HT) receptors more common in ME/CFS. It says nothing about serotonin itself causing or improving anything.

alex3619

It is a study about making associations, not identifying causes. Its implying serotonin chemistry might be involved, but nothing is proved. It does say this -

Anti-5-HT antibody positivity was significantly associated with increased scores on hyperalgesia, fatigue, neurocognitive and autonomic symptoms, sadness and a flu-like malaise.

This is an association. It might be causal, it might be partly causal, it might be coincidence, it might be some other factor the study did not look at which is causal, and associated with the autoantibodies and symptoms.

All it really says is this is a line of research that might be worth pursuing.

I wonder if its coincidence that this kind of shows the one-third/two-third split I have been seeing since the Lights' exercise research was first published.

Last edited:

tiredowl

Tryptophan helps me only in combination with Tyrosine (I don´t seem to have any zinc defiency, as zinc is needed to change tryptophan into serotin if I am remembering right.). Thanks for the link.
May I ask what your experience with low manganese diet is? I'm not sure if I have too much or too little. I read it's used for joint problems.

FMMM1

Alright, thanks. it seems ME/POTS patients have antibodies to quite many receptors.

Check out the OMF site. They have developed a way to improve these (antibody) assays i.e. to reduce false positives/false negatives [https://www.omf.ngo/2018/02/12/tweak-assay-bolster-disease-detection-stanford-medicine-news-center/]. I reckon some of these tests will improve significantly once they switch to this approach.

Not sure where your from but the European Union has funded improves tests for Lyme disease (Horizon 2020 program). It would be good to see improved tests for auto-antibodies which are considered to be elevated in ME/CFS (muscarinic acetylcholine receptors I think) and, based on this study, serotonin (5-HT).

Last edited:

Alesh

There are patients with ME who are helped by SSRI. It recently came to my mind that it could be due to the direct antimicrobial effect. Provided, of course, that ME is of infectious origin or has such component. Some antidepressants and neuroleptics have been known to have this effect. E.g. iproniazid is effective against tuberculosis, clomipramine is effective against leishmaniasis, chloprpromazine is effective against naegleria fowleri.

tiredowl

There are patients with ME who are helped by SSRI. It recently came to my mind that it could be due to the direct antimicrobial effect. Provided, of course, that ME is of infectious origin or has such component. Some antidepressants and neuroleptics have been known to have this effect. E.g. iproniazid is effective against tuberculosis, clomipramine is effective against leishmaniasis, chloprpromazine is effective against naegleria fowleri.
Interesting. What about escitalopram?