• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sensory Input Reduction

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
What do you do to reduce sensory input? A quiet dark room is always nice, but what strategies, tools, etc. do you use when that is not possible?

Wayne

What do you do to reduce sensory input? A quiet dark room is always nice, but what strategies, tools, etc. do you use when that is not possible?

Hi NGU,

I've found this technique to be very helpful, especially when I'm outside my house.
513_vamp3_267.jpg

One of the most effective protection procedures known is the Finger Interlock Technique. Developed in our labs, this technique is easy to implement, and its effects are instant. To begin this technique, simply bring together the tips of your thumb and middle finger of each hand to form two circles. Then, bring your hands together to form interlocking circles while envisioning your body enveloped in a bright sphere of impenetrable energy. Finally, relax your hands and simply affirm, "I am now energized and fully protected." This simple, inconspicuous technique requires only seconds and can be used almost any time or place. With practice, you can use the finger interlock gesture alone as a cue to instantly activate the effects of the full procedure.

I've also found these POLARITY EXERCISES to be very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

rosie26

Listen to some favourite music with earphones in, this can help soothe things down a bit for me while lying down with eyes closed.

@Never Give Up - Earplugs and/or sunglasses. Can you close your eyes at points while walking (briefly checking surroundings now and again, of course, so as to not crash into anything or misstep)?

You might also be able to go to areas when things are darker or quieter - for example, grocery shopping at off-hours. If you absolutely need to be somewhere, finding a spot more away from the light/noise like a side area/lobby might help. Keeping one ear to a cushion or wall or whatever can help dampen sound further.

I'd suggest resting up beforehand and be prepared to rest after.

Wayne

Just a quick mention... I'm affected a lot by fluorescent lighting (woozy, vertigo, etc.). Just recently, I used this technique to stabilize myself while sitting in a waiting room under fluorescent lights. Worked really well--just sat there with my hands on my lap with fingers interlocked (very inconspicuous).

513_vamp3_267.jpg