May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sensory Input Reduction

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Never Give Up, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

What do you do to reduce sensory input? A quiet dark room is always nice, but what strategies, tools, etc. do you use when that is not possible?

rosie26 likes this.
  2. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi NGU,

I've found this technique to be very helpful, especially when I'm outside my house.
    I've also found these POLARITY EXERCISES to be very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    ahmo likes this.
  3. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

Listen to some favourite music with earphones in, this can help soothe things down a bit for me while lying down with eyes closed.

4. Alea Ishikawa

Alea Ishikawa

@Never Give Up - Earplugs and/or sunglasses. Can you close your eyes at points while walking (briefly checking surroundings now and again, of course, so as to not crash into anything or misstep)?

You might also be able to go to areas when things are darker or quieter - for example, grocery shopping at off-hours. If you absolutely need to be somewhere, finding a spot more away from the light/noise like a side area/lobby might help. Keeping one ear to a cushion or wall or whatever can help dampen sound further.

I'd suggest resting up beforehand and be prepared to rest after.

5. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Just a quick mention... I'm affected a lot by fluorescent lighting (woozy, vertigo, etc.). Just recently, I used this technique to stabilize myself while sitting in a waiting room under fluorescent lights. Worked really well--just sat there with my hands on my lap with fingers interlocked (very inconspicuous).

[​IMG]

See more popular forum discussions.