• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sensitive to Methyfolate, Should I try Folinic acid as recommended by Rich?

Avalon

Hi All, I'm still having problems with Jarrow methylfolate, my sleep, nasal congestion and acid reflux has worsened. I've now had to drastically reduce the dose as I seem very sensitive to it. Would folinic acid as recommend by Rich be gentler to start of with?

Any help would be very appreciated. Note take Jarrow mb12, 250mcg morning and afternoon. Multivitamin once a week.

Last edited:

PeterPositive

Hi,
from your post it's not very clear if the problems you have described worsened due to drastically reducing the methylfolate, or the other way around.

What was the original dosage and how much are you taking now?

Folinic may work too, yes, but there's no way to know without trying.

Cheers.

Avalon

Hi,
from your post it's not very clear if the problems you have described worsened due to drastically reducing the methylfolate, or the other way around.

What was the original dosage and how much are you taking now?

Folinic may work too, yes, but there's no way to know without trying.

Cheers.

Brain fog today, spaced out!, I have reworded, so it should make sense now! Original dose 200mcg, then went down to about 100mcg. I notice more energy clear head, but sleep suffers etc.

PeterPositive

You could try an equal dose of folinic acid (200mcg) and see how it goes. It should be easier than methylfolate.

Avalon

You could try an equal dose of folinic acid (200mcg) and see how it goes. It should be easier than methylfolate.

Thanks Pete, it theory it should be metabolized slower, probably just start of with it first and add mfolate later. Do you think I would be able process folinic acid given my current snp progfile?
Thanks.

PeterPositive

I have a similar profile: MTHFR 677 ++, MTR +/-, MTRR +/-
I also take a bit of folinic acid (200mcg) mainly because it's in my B complex. For the rest I use methylfolate (2000 mcg)

When I started the protocol I was very sensitive and had to take small doses for several months before being able to add more. I also used folic acid for quite some time before I knew my snps. :rolleyes: Then switched to methylfolate without problems.

I can handle 2000-2500mcg of Metafolin without issues, but I had bad reactions to sublingual methylfolate even at lower doses (800-1000). I still have to figure out why, the only explanation I can think of is that the sublingual form is probably absorbed much more rapidly. Gave me pretty bad anxiety with a harsh adrenaline rush.

Avalon

I have a similar profile: MTHFR 677 ++, MTR +/-, MTRR +/-
I also take a bit of folinic acid (200mcg) mainly because it's in my B complex. For the rest I use methylfolate (2000 mcg)

When I started the protocol I was very sensitive and had to take small doses for several months before being able to add more. I also used folic acid for quite some time before I knew my snps. :rolleyes: Then switched to methylfolate without problems.

I can handle 2000-2500mcg of Metafolin without issues, but I had bad reactions to sublingual methylfolate even at lower doses (800-1000). I still have to figure out why, the only explanation I can think of is that the sublingual form is probably absorbed much more rapidly. Gave me pretty bad anxiety with a harsh adrenaline rush.

That's a big dose, initially what side effects did you have? as I seem to get worse over the course of week when I restart mfolate! What is the brand of sublingual methyfolate you used take ?

PeterPositive

When I started I used folic acid, the standard dose 400mcg. That didn't give me any problems. But Methyl-B12 and P5P did. They caused anxiety (B6) and jitteriness (B12), is such word exists :)

I went on for a year and 1/2 with folic acid and increasing the B12 and integrating the other Bs. I started B12 at 250mcg and gradually increased trying to take small-ish doses multiple times a day.

For some time I also switched to Adenosyl-B12 that was much easier for me, with no side effects. But eventually the doc said I should use Methyl-B12 as well, because Ad-B12 doesn't drive the methylation cycle directly.

When I finally switched from folic acid to Metafolin I used the same dosage (400mcg) and it didn't bother me. From there I experimented by adding a bit more every few weeks and I am still experimenting since my methylation is still working quite badly, according to the labs.

PeterPositive

What is the brand of sublingual methyfolate you used take ?
Seeking Health.
I thought sublingual would have been better because I have many digestive problems, but it didn't work. Too much anxiety and no difference in terms of improving the methylation cycle.