A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Send your shoes to protest virtually for you in #MEAction's Millions Missing campaign!

Discussion in 'Millions Missing Campaign' started by Sasha, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    This is a BRILLIANT idea!

Part of the new Millions Missing campaign - millions of us missing from our lives, millions missing from our research funding...

[​IMG]

There's going to be a protest in Washingon DC and San Francisco in May and you can send a pair of shoes (either yours, or a cheap pair from Ebay or Amazon) to represent you at the protest.

Genius! I'll definitely be sending a pair.

Other methods of virtual protest too.

Details here.

Very creative!

Edit - latest details:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Brilliant idea! It's so hard to figure out how to "show" the numbers of ME patients who can't make it to protest in person, and I think this is a perfect alternative.

Also great that they're donating the shoes to charity afterward, or keeping them for future protests.

3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    ...and it would be very easy to just buy a cheap pair of shoes on US Ebay and put the #MEAction delivery address in, so you wouldn't even have the cost of reposting. You can buy a pair of slippers or flipflops on there for $1.50.

4. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Wow genius.This really is a powerfull image, for a group of people that would love to protest but are stuck in their beds

Jennifer J, Mel9, rosie26 and 3 others like this.
  5. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Great idea!

It says they plan to tag each pair of shoes with the info you provide. Seems like a lot of work! They ask for full name, age, year you got sick, country, email, and optional twitter handle. I guess they might not publish all of your info.

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I think they need your email to tell you when they've organised an address to send your shoes to.

7. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Yes. I just went to do it but they're not ready yet. You fill out the form and they send you the postal address when they're ready to go. I think they're going to be busy!

8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    But you can fill out the form now, so you don't forget, and they'll notify you.

Yes, I hope they get lots of responses! It's a very cheap and easy way to participate in a mass-demo.

Mel9 and Amaya2014 like this.
  9. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    What a brilliant idea.

Virtual Protest – Millions Missing

Here's the form to register, more info below. Note you have to use the tab key, rather than click, to go to the data entry fields (at least I had to using firefox).

[4. Donate]
    A campaign this brilliant deserves hard cash too, in my view

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  10. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

I love the idea! But, I'd love it even more if advocacy groups in other jurisdictions would do something similar. For us Canadians, wouldn't it be wonderful if Parliament Hill in Ottawa was blanketed with shoes? Just imagine, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau taking a selfie in front of thousands of pairs of shoes. The photo would get worldwide coverage!

11. waiting

waiting Senior Member

Agreed -- brilliant, brilliant idea that lets us participate via our shoes!! I'm registered, plus forwarded this PR thread to some others!

FYI, @JenB, I'm on MEACTION's email list so I received notification today -- but, blaming my brain fog, I couldn't initially see where the actual info was once I clicked their link.

Then I tried clicking on the icon in far upper right corner -- and THEN I got the pop-up menu where you can click on options like "updates", etc.

Thank you @Simon for posting the relevant links on how to register.

ahimsa and Simon like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I remember the fall-down protest in London in 2013 (?) which had 95 (?) people at it and had virtually no effect including no (or virtually no) media coverage.

I think in many situations putting the time and energy into a fundraiser or fundraising on the street would be better. This could include giving out information.

One of the reasons I think there has been a lack of researchers in the field is that there has been a lack of money raised privately. Government agencies are only ever going to fund a fraction of the potentially interesting studies that can be done and we need private money to make up the difference. And also to allow researchers get pilot data from small studies to help enable them apply for bigger grants. Whole countries raise very little privately for research. For example Canada is mentioned above: I don't think much money has been raised for research there. People blame governments for the lack of research but I think a big problem is the lack of money raised privately to support research.

Sasha likes this.
  13. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

Love that idea! There is a place on the website where you can sign up to "Lead a New Location": http://millionsmissing.meaction.net/locations/lead-a-new-location/

I also think it would be a great idea to protest (or have a shoe display) at the Lancet or Queen Mary University of London (QMUL). :D haha!

14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    @searcher - once the Washington demo is over, could the shoes be trucked elsewhere for other ME/CFS demos? Canada's national seat seems a sensible destination!

15. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I had the same problem, @searcher.

16. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    TBH, 95 sounds like a very small demo to me and I'm not surprised it didn't get much media coverage. I saw a photo of it and - no disrespect to its participants or organisers - it looked small, even though it may have felt big to people on the ground. London sees loads of protests from various groups for various causes that get thousands of people turning up with hardly any media coverage either and I think we've got to come up with something unusual and eye-catching to get coverage.

Invisible Woman and Simon like this.
  17. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The attendance of 95 was the biggest I recall (or perhaps Action for ME once had a bigger one on a bridge).
    There were also a lot of ME/CFS protests that were a lot smaller in London, during the 2000's. They weren't planned to be smaller, but not many people turned up.

ukxmrv likes this.
  18. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Big for an ME/CFS protest to be sure, but not big for a London protest.

19. Rooney

Rooney Senior Member

SE USA
    Count me IN!
    It's truly inspired.

Comet, SB_1108, Simon and 1 other person like this.
  20. actup

actup Senior Member

Pacific NW
    I'm in as well. Love these creative ideas. Now if we could only get Anonymous to hack into the qmul Pace database. Truly kidding.

See more popular forum discussions.