Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Selfish Mitochondria and ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Old Bones, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

Here's an interesting research report from Vanderbilt University as reported in Science Daily on July 12, 2016:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160712130109.htm

A few quotes:

"Summary: A research team has identified some of the methods that allow mutant mitochondrial DNA to act selfishly by circumventing the molecular mechanisms that cells use to regulate mitochondrial activity.

Mitochondria are special organelles found in cells that produce most of the chemical energy that powers cell operations. Mitochondrial dysfunction has been associated with a wide variety of illnesses, including autism, Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, dementia, Parkinson's disease, epilepsy, stroke, cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome and cardiovascular disease.

Now, a team of researchers at Vanderbilt University has discovered that mutant mtDNA may cause diseases by behaving "selfishly" -- in a fashion that benefits them while harming their host.

Mitochondrial disorders have some unusual properties. "Unlike bacterial infections that tend to be all or nothing, mitochondrial infections can range from zero to 100 percent," said Patel. "This makes mitochondrial disorders multi-symptomatic, with a lot of individual differences. One person with a mutant load of 50 percent might be symptom free while another person with 80 percent might have severe symptoms."

Justin30, Richard7, L'engle and 19 others like this.
  2. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Evolution is pretty crazy.

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Yeah, it's also pretty amazing that human mitochondria most likely evolved from bacteria.

L'engle, Comet, Jennifer J and 4 others like this.
  4. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Truly is! I forgot about that. My uni-biology is 6 years old and fading:p But yes, some sort of symbiotic "relationship" that went complicated over millions of years?

See more popular forum discussions.