1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Self-Insurance

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by madietodd, Aug 9, 2011.

1. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I'm paying almost $400 a month for insurance with a $2500 deductible. I keep it in case I get into an awful accident. I've never used it, since all of the tests I've gotten recently wouldn't be covered anyway. I'm years away from Medicare (a receding goal anyway ;)), and am not sufficiently disabled to argue for disability coverage.

I live in Maryland, and I don't know how to research insurance options. Do any of you have experience with this that you could share with me? My carrier is Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Madie
  2. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    I have no insurance, and would like some info as well.

Every time I go to a doctor I get damaged, so I would have no need for it at all unless I have an accident. IS there insurance just for that?
  3. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    "Madie and Dreambirdie. First of all depending on your income level, you might qualify for "Family Health Plus". This is insurance based on your income. You can google it and they have tables where you can input your information and they will tell you if you qualify and how much it will cost. If you qualify, the cost is very minimal.

Your other option is to get a plan that is HMO only with a high deductible. It is usually much cheaper. You will have to use the doctors who are in the HMO plan but it will cover you for hospital and catastrophic care.

Hope this helps.

Dreambirdie - I would be very worried for you not to have any insurance at all.

See more popular forum discussions.