• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Self-Insurance

maddietod

I'm paying almost $400 a month for insurance with a $2500 deductible. I keep it in case I get into an awful accident. I've never used it, since all of the tests I've gotten recently wouldn't be covered anyway. I'm years away from Medicare (a receding goal anyway ;)), and am not sufficiently disabled to argue for disability coverage.

I live in Maryland, and I don't know how to research insurance options. Do any of you have experience with this that you could share with me? My carrier is Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Madie

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I have no insurance, and would like some info as well.

Every time I go to a doctor I get damaged, so I would have no need for it at all unless I have an accident. IS there insurance just for that?

Nielk

"Madie and Dreambirdie. First of all depending on your income level, you might qualify for "Family Health Plus". This is insurance based on your income. You can google it and they have tables where you can input your information and they will tell you if you qualify and how much it will cost. If you qualify, the cost is very minimal.

Your other option is to get a plan that is HMO only with a high deductible. It is usually much cheaper. You will have to use the doctors who are in the HMO plan but it will cover you for hospital and catastrophic care.

Hope this helps.

Dreambirdie - I would be very worried for you not to have any insurance at all.