• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Selenium effect on glutathione and thyroid, T3

knackers323

I have a two part question.

Does anyone know where I can find out how soon after ingestion of selenium does it take for glutathione and T3 levels to rise respectively?

knackers323

Hi @helen1 thanks for the study I have been looking everywhere for an answer to this.

I don't know that I have a thyroid problem. I just know that when I take a big dose of selenium, about three hours later I notice I feel quite a bit better, with more energy.

I've tried this on quite a few occasions and it works every time.

The only other thing I can think of is that it's having an effect on the immune system and a possible infection.

But I wouldn't have thought I would notice an effect that quickly if it were working that way.

I think it is more plausible that it is the thyroid effect (increased T3) , not the immune system if you feel a kick a few hours after. I notice the same with me, I am borderline hypoT and have borderline thyroid antibodies ( swing from hypo to hyper) and when I take selenium, it can even get me hyper even just a few hours after. I would state I have low normal free T4 but my Free T3 on occasision has been high normal and why I feel hyper at times. Pretty sure my adrenals are weak and contributing to the odd blood work of high normal TSH ( 3-4), low normal free T4, yet high normal FreeT3 cause based on the first two results, free3 should not be high normal.

I believe selenium can have a effect on dopamine and this could also explain increased mood and energy after taking selenium for some people. I know my dopamine system is very sensitive.

But to answer your question, sorry I don't have any concrete answers to both of your questions.

Last edited:
I tried T4 ( synthroid) and helped some symptoms (muscle pain, mood and energy) for 1-2 mths, then stopped working. when tried again, i got hyper and get ADD. I tried armor (t4 and t3) and makes me hyper too and ADD. have not tried just T3 but i dont think i would do well with it based on my experience with synthroid and armor

Ya i guess you could say i crash, it is more mental than physical. when hyper, it is like my brain is wired and literally need to rest my brain. my hypoglycemia symtpoms get worse too when i take thyroid, could be my dopamine is going up. i seem sensitive to dopamine. i cant even tolerate 20mg of coq10 or nadh or methyl b12 as all these energy boosters (many which pump up dopamine) wire me. didn't have this years ago but in last few years yes. b12 was my best supplement 4-7 years ago but now i can hardly tolerate it , especially Mb12, i have no clue what is going on here, maybe hashimotos, who knows