May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Selenium and Sulfide Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Peyt, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Is there a form of Selenium that is recommended for people with Sulfide sensitivity?
    Thanks

2. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

The most common form found in supplements is seleno-methionine. I am not sure there's many other alternatives besides maybe sodium selenite, that I have seen mentioned rarely.

They should be safe, unless you're totally allergic to sulfur in which case methionine does contain sulfur, but I don't think it's possible to avoid it in the diet anyway, unless you stop eating proteins. The amount of methionine (and thus sulfur) in a supplement is usually small.

3. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I changed from Se-MET to Se-GLY last year, and am loving it. I get it from a local compounding pharmacy.

4. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

What's Se-GLY?
    I found some Selenium Citrate. Wonder if that is less harmful for someone with Sulfide sensitivity.

5. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Selenium Glycine. I think it might be found as Selenium chelate, but usually the "chelate" is a mix of undesired organic salts such as aspartate/glutamate.

6. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Brazil nuts.

7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@Peyt I think your meant to say sulfite sensitivity.

See more popular forum discussions.