• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seems I am in trouble

SaraM

Went to medical exam today. Doctor had no record from SSA and seems SSA did not get any of my record from my personal GP. SSA wants to send me for spine and shoulder Xray while my problems never showed in Xrays done by my GP. It was MRI that showed stenosis and tendonits. GP has been on vacation for almost a month and will not be in office for some time. I wanted to ask him to order some new MRI. On the other hand it seems SS wants to close the case soon and I do not know how long they will wait for me. I am really stuck here and do not know what to do. I can't believe the SS analyst even did not ask me for my medical record. She even did not talk to me because I have a lawyer.Any advice?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
all SSA wants to do is find a reason to deny you. (they are set up to believe everyone is trying to game the system until proven innocent, but especially right now SSA doesn't have enough money)

your job and your attorney's job is to explain why you deserve disability status.

Ask your GP's office for your records (they may just give you a copy, or you may have to pay a copying fee, and the fee may be outrageous, say $1 per page for the first 30 pages and somewhat less after that... sometimes they will charge the patient less than if the attorney were to ask, however, so you should get them)

Give your records to your attorney and make sure the attorney gets them to SSA, or simply give them to SSA yourself (but you should be able to rely on your attorney to do this; if you cannot, you can switch attorneys--call your local association, or if you don't have one, your local Fibromyalgia association, for a recommendation for a local attorney... the two attorneys will work out sharing the the attorney fee when you get approved, but you might have to pay for expenses at the time of switching)

SSA is supposed to use all the medical records they have, but they don't necessarily follow the rules. I expect you need the money right away, but hopefully it's some comfort to know that there are lots of appeal and hearing options to get your case re-heard.

SaraM

Thanks WillowJ. I was also thinking of getting a copy of my entire file and sending it to my attorney. I will do it next week. But the way SSA is handling my case seems absolutely stupid.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
all the best to you and wishing success to your case

the way SSA handles cases is, in my experience as well, irrational. but they are also trying to process a large volume of cases.

especially if you have had multiple ionizing imaging studies, I would refuse the x-ray. there is no reason to repeat it, and it exposes you to radiation unnecessarily.

caledonia

Your lawyer needs to do his job and get those records to SSA. SSA is notorious for losing or not receiving records. Always make copies in case you have to resend records.

I'm not sure if you can ask for an extension at this stage while you wait for your doc to get back from vacation. That would be a good question to ask your lawyer.

SaraM

WillowJ and Caledonia,

Thanks a lot. My lawyer is going to ask SSA for an extension, so I can ask my doc for new MRI's. Will know the result next week. I also had the mental exam today. The examiner said I was honest and gave him the right answers, but I looked very depressed to him because of my physical problems.