• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seeking Solutions conference in Belfast GREAT NEW DEVELOPMENT

Keela Too

Sally Burch
18765885_1404089149649901_2831030440595883187_n.jpg

Exciting times. There is now a short report on FB with more photos.
A more detailed report to follow including some developments in N.Ireland.

In image above, Hope 4 ME & Fibro NI committee members, conference host Robbie Butler, our Patron Jo-Anne Dobson, and conference speakers Dr Weir, Prof Mella, David Tuller & Linda Tannenbaum:
Left to Right
Eilidh Gilmour, Belinda Dale, Dr William Weir, Robbie Butler MLA, Professor Olav Mella, David Tuller DrPH, Linda Tannenbaum,Jo-Anne Dobson, Joan McParland, Sally Burch, Ruairi McLaughlin

"Our conference "SeekingSolutions for ME & Fibromyalgia" brought top international speakers and researchers to Stormont, Belfast yesterday.

Amongst the audience were key health care decision makers from both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The audience were receptive, and we are very optimistic that changes in the approach to patient care will result from this new awareness and understanding.

A more detailed report will follow shortly. In the meantime here are a few photos.

Thanks to Robbie Butler MLA for hosting the event and to our charity patron Jo-Anne Dobson for chairing the conference and so eloquently introducing each speaker.

Big thanks also to our outstanding speakers: Linda Tannenbaum, Dr William Weir, Professor Olav Mella, David Tuller DrPH, and Dr Christine McMaster - we greatly appreciate the messages of hope and progress, that you delivered.

Thank you."

https://www.facebook.com/Hope4MEFibro/posts/1404112342980915

Last edited:

Keela Too

Sally Burch
Still need to see it happen, but this is optimistic.
And if patients know about it they can send GPs there too.

That along with the advertising of a new medical lead - which we are told will go into the BMJ once all the formalities are sorted out - makes for very exciting times.

Barry53

Last edited:

Keela Too

Sally Burch

I am in Jim Shannon's constituency. I have met him twice already this year and he seemed to be onside with ME patients. Indeed he signed the MAIMES campaign letter. I am currently trying to secure another meeting with him to find out the motivation for this question. I'm hoping @Barry53 that you are right.

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2017-06-27.1519.h&s=nice+get#g1519.r0

Jim ShannonShadow DUP Spokesperson (Health), Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Transport), Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Equality)
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what steps his Department is taking to encourage people with chronic fatigue syndrome to exercise each day.

Steve Brine The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

In 2007 the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) produced the best practice clinical guideline, Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy): Diagnosis and management of CFS/MEin adults and children. The guideline, last reviewed in 2013, sets out best practice on the diagnosis, treatment care and support of children and adults with CFS/ME and supports local National Health Service commissioners and clinicians in the delivery of services.

The NICE guideline makes recommendations on the use of Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) in patients mildly or moderately affected by CFS/ME. GET is a structured exercise programme designed to gradually increase how long someone can carry out a physical activity. It should be tailored to a person's current level of activities and should be delivered only by a suitably trained GETtherapist with experience in CFS/ME under appropriate clinical supervision. The guideline also acknowledges that there is no one form of treatment to suit every patient and that treatment and care should take into account the personal needs and preferences of the patient. The guideline can be found at the following link:

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg53/resources/chronic-fatigue-syndromemyalgic-encephalomyelitis-or-encephalopathy-diagnosis-and-management-pdf-975505810885

To ensure its recommendations reflect the latest available evidence, NICE is currently reviewing its guidance to see if an update is required. A decision is expected shortly.

Barry53

I am in Jim Shannon's constituency. I have met him twice already this year and he seemed to be onside with ME patients. Indeed he signed the MAIMES campaign letter. I am currently trying to secure another meeting with him to find out the motivation for this question. I'm hoping @Barry53 that you are right.
Just realised that due to my currently limited iPhone4 access I just saw the whole long text as the question, whereas most of it is the (as usual nebulous) answer. I suspect now that the original question may have been with the purpose of getting the Secretary of State for Health to clarify his position prior to the NICE guidelines reappraisal. I'm sure Jim Shannon will have know the kind of response he would get. But given what you say about him it is possible he is just looking to get a peg in the ground here.

Afterthought: if JS has got wind of other BBC programmes in the pipeline then he may even be looking for exactly the answer he got, because soon it will hopefully be a blatantly stupid stance not just to us but to the general public. He may be looking to then ask a similar question after such BBC programme. Giving people enough rope to hang themselves by.

Last edited:

Jo Best

Well done Sally. In that case then I'm sure he has the best intention, and if so then I like his style.

Last edited:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates