• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seeking ME/CFS, MCS, Mold Sensitive Roommate in Raleigh/Durham, NC

GypsyGirl

Acronym loaded subject line! :p

So, I'm trying to find a roommate (been trying through "typical" means, craigslist, roommate sites, word of mouth), and I realized someone here might know a resource.

Or if I'm allowed on this forum, where to post that I have a "safe space" (toxin-wise) available.
**Update - Moderator @Sushi said I can post here.**

In contacting potential roommates, I feel like it's very awkward explaining the basics of these illnesses. It makes me a not very desirable roommate to a healthy person. (Even if I am a pleasant roommate full of witty banter... when I have the energy to talk.)

In some ways, I think two people with the same kinds of illness would do well living together. At the very least, you wouldn't have to explain what you have. The understanding is a roomie compatibility in itself.

I've looked into "exhange household help for reduced rent" ads too, and respondents fall off the communication line when they realize I'm not elderly. Being sick in your 30's must be an unspoken faux pas.

I don't know where to turn. I do know there seem to be a lot of people with varying degrees of sickness who need somewhere to stay without judgement. ... how can I find one?

Any direction/ideas/any input at all would be helpful.

Also, if you're interested in being that roommate, please PM me for details. It could work like a traditional roommate situation (probably with more pajamas & soup), or if you're more functional, at a reduced rate/exchange for errand help. I'm female and seeking female roommates only please.

Thanks for reading, you guys. :)

Last edited: