• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seeking input in my 23andme results

Kimsie

Well, keep researching and trying. Sometimes it take a long time to come up with all the answers. Personally I think the low BH4 with MTHFR 1298 must be correct because my husband has it (one copy) without the MAO A mutation (so he gets rid of serotonin at a normal rate) and he has had mild depression all his life, enough to interfere with his enjoyment of life, but it doesn't stop his motivation and he feels great with only mg of 5-htp a day.
I hope you find all your answers soon!

trollo

The fact your husband has mild depression doesn't necessarily correlate with bh4 deficiency, neither the fact that 5htp is effective for him. It would be more significant to know if 5-mthf (methyl folate) improve his depression, or better if he has high tyrosine and/or phenylalanine in blood.

Kimsie

My husband took 5 mg of methyl folate a day for many months but it didn't have any effect on his depression symptoms. I don't think he has had a blood test for amino acids but in his hair test he was low on tyrosine and phenylalanine and most other amino acids even though he had a high protein diet for some time when the test was taken so maybe his problem is low tryptophan absorption. I am constantly changing my theories as I learn. I think I need to do more research on this.

trollo

Well methylfolate is the main substance to push mthfr reverse action toward BH4, so if your husband didn't react to it maybe a1298c is not his issue, after all he s just heterozigous. Hair test is not reliable for a lot of things, it can point out a lot of deficiencies that in fact does not exist and you can verify this testing that through blood. A few parameters seems reliable in hair, like Lithium.

Yeah, heterozygous MTHFR A1298C shouldn't be having much impact at all, when C677T is normal. Maybe a very tiny one - to the tune of 1-2%.

trollo

About adenosil/methyl and hidrohy cobalamine i was seing those Holistic Health Mega drops. Are they intended to be absorbed under tongue??? Can they be an alternative to Jarrow's?

trollo

hello everybody. It s more than 1 month that i'm trying to treat my gut, i used antimicrobial herbs (now discontinued), kefir, and the digestive enzimes http://www.amazon.com/MRM-Digest-All-Condition-Vegetarian-100-Count/
I had in these last weeks the sensation that the digestive enzimes were creating to my gut more discomfort than help, still now i sometimes have pain in the gut. I wonder if these enzimes worsened my gut condition instead of improving it.

joshi81

Secondo me quel prodotto @trollo non è per nulla efficace ... io di enzimi digestivi ne ho provati tanti e l'unico che funziona come una bomba è il DigestGold di Enzymedica, se compari per capsula l'attività di lipase, amilase a protease ti rendi conto della differenza... quel prodotto che prendi tu penso sia davvero acqua fresca....

trollo

joshi8
Secondo me quel prodotto @trollo non è per nulla efficace ... io di enzimi digestivi ne ho provati tanti e l'unico che funziona come una bomba è il DigestGold di Enzymedica, se compari per capsula l'attività di lipase, amilase a protease ti rendi conto della differenza... quel prodotto che prendi tu penso sia davvero acqua fresca....

Joshi81 you should not reply in italian here, it s not fair to other people who can't understand it. Anyway if those dig enzimes were 'fresh water' i wouldn t had gut pain and alterations in the sense of taste. No it did something for sure, but what it did wasn't good at all.

joshi81

ok sorry for writing in italian, anyway i just suggested to use another brand of enzymes because it has more strenght in in 1 capsule compared to 2 capsules of the one used by trollo and i saw great results with that brand which i hadn't with any other one

Critterina

My husband took 5 mg of methyl folate a day for many months but it didn't have any effect on his depression symptoms. I don't think he has had a blood test for amino acids but in his hair test he was low on tyrosine and phenylalanine and most other amino acids even though he had a high protein diet for some time when the test was taken so maybe his problem is low tryptophan absorption. I am constantly changing my theories as I learn. I think I need to do more research on this.
Kimsie,
When my amino acids were all low, and I was on a high protein diet, it seems like I was not digesting them, perhaps due to adrenal insufficiency which means low cortisol which means low stomach acid. Just another potential theory to throw in the ring.

Trollo, I disappeared from this thread because I simply do not have time to overcome our language barrier and explain, in depth everything. For instance I never said you had SUOX. I referenced you bringing it up.

I do wish you luck.

trollo

Well PathogenKiller in such areas as health if you do not intend to explain what you suggest you d better save your time at all and do not suggest anything, otherwise you could lead unware people to do stupid and hazardous things.

About my present situation i must say (speaking to everybody in general) that after assuming gaba and some of the stuff suggested in the Step 1 Yasko program and adressed the 'short route' for a few weeks i started to use methylfolate and methylb12. I noticed some improvements in fatigue or sleepyness after introducing b12 with simply half jarrow tablet that means 500 mcg and 200 mcg of solgar metafolin. After some weeks i changed to 400 metafolin and 1000b12 x day and i began to have problems: nausea as a reaction to b12 usually after minutes before the tablet totally dissolved in my mouth; agitation during the day and sleep problems... when sleep problems arose i understood things weren t going the right way and i went back to 500mcg methyl b12. So i d like to hear the opinions of others about that, considering that i still was at such low doses, this doesn't seem at all a promising start.

trollo

Just yesterday i assumed coffe in the morning and i had terrible problems with sleep in the night. I never had such reaction to coffe, i think that it could interact with 5mthf and methb12. But it seems i m talking to myself here...

I started drinking coffee for the first time in my life about 2 months ago. No problems with sleeping, if I don't drink it too late in the day. But I don't take a lot of folate, just the amount in a B-multi, and most of my B12 is hydroxoB12.

trollo

Ok, right now i’m on 130 mcg methylfolate (one Doctors best Multiple x day), about 80-100 mcg folinic, and i take 500 mcg of hydroxy one day and 1000 mcg adenosyl the other day, but i still have sleep disturbs despite i feel no improvements during the day. I can’t take less of 1000 mcg adenosyl because i use the source naturals dibencozide of 8000 mcg each that i split into 8 small pieces. Exept for adenosyl, these seems very tiny doses, and i'm surprised that i have not improvements but instead sleep disturbances...