1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

See the Shocking Moment She Went From Crippled and Bed-Ridden to Dancing in Worship

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, May 27, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England

barbc56, Ambrosia_angel and rosie26 like this.
  2. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Completely staged.......what more can you really say.....

Message to scientists - Please hurry up with finding some bio markers/definite diagnostic tests so we can all be diagnosed properly and get the correct treatment. If mine turns out to be Lyme then I will be gutted that so much of my life, time, effort, money has been spent on chasing the waste bucket diagnosis that is ME in the UK..

taniaaust1, garcia, barbc56 and 10 others like this.
  3. Ambrosia_angel

Ambrosia_angel Senior Member

England
    I don't think its fair to say its staged. These sorts of mental healing techniques have been used for thousands of years to successfully heal illnesses. There was an interesting show on channel 4 yesterday which featured a lady and man in two different parts of the world who had cured illnesses. The female had a clinic full of patients who visited her regularly and were so sure that they had been healed or improved by her.

Science doesn't have answers to the reasons why these treatments have been successfully used to cure terminal illnesses. They don't have the answer to ME either. I'm all for science but it isn't always the answer to everything. Non-scientific treatments are automatically called stupid by science even though people vouch that they have improved them. I do believe that the mind can control the body. I haven't mastered it yet but I definitely believe that these types of functional treatments do work. Like science I have no idea how. But they work for some people.

I wouldn't do one though.

Cheesus and Wayne like this.
  4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Ambrosia_angel
    No what I meant was she wasn't filmed dancing at the time of the church service, if you look behind her all the seats are empty, unless she was the only one in the congregation:) she is also wearing the same clothes in the part of the video where she's walking outside with her husband, it looks like all the video was made on the same day. Just saying......

If she got well that's good. - I'm not disputing that.

garcia, Wayne, Min and 4 others like this.
  5. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Hallelujah.

taniaaust1, garcia, leela and 4 others like this.
  6. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    She'd possibly have been a good candidate for Phil Parker and/or a bit of CBT.
    I really can't take this seriously, but pleased she's able to get about again.

If something can be cured by a mental process, it was probably caused by a mental process.

garcia, barbc56, TigerLilea and 5 others like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There is a reason medical scientists want hard evidence and double blinded RCTs. We have no way of knowing what the truth is, or how applicable it is in general, just from anecdotal stories.

The only miracle treatment I ever investigated in depth was so-called vitamin B-17, or laetrile, a supposed cure for cancer. I recall reading a book on it circa 2001. A journalist from the UK went to a clinic in Israel. There were a whole lot of happy beaming patients all entranced with the cure. It was a miracle story. A year later he went back. Every single one had died - of cancer.

taniaaust1, barbc56, SOC and 7 others like this.
  8. Ambrosia_angel

England
    Sorry maryb. I didn't mean to jump to conclusion. I can see what you mean about the empty church though.

Wayne likes this.
  9. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Excuse my pessimism but!

Funny how we only hear about this the day the album is released.

taniaaust1, leela, barbc56 and 16 others like this.
  10. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Just been looking at some other testimonies from the Church where this took place. Most seem to be serious heroin addicts. You dont heal heroin addiction by mental gymnastics.
    Maybe Jesus still heals today. Personally I think theres more chance with that than waiting for the 'magic pill' from science.

http://www.walkingfree.org/testimonies

rosie26, barbc56 and Wayne like this.
  11. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Religion can be quite sucessfull in replacing addiction.
    It's the entire basis of the 12-step programme and AA.

taniaaust1, barbc56, Tristen and 6 others like this.
  12. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    While I take most claimed miracle healings with a pinch of salt, I have no doubt that some are genuine. I have friends who had severe ME, were bed bound and in one case had repeated bouts of life-threatening encephalitis who I know had a complete and amazingly instant recovery when they received Christian prayer. Most had to face a long, hard road before they reached that point though. They have remained ME-free over the years.

For those who might like a gentle afternoon's reading, you could read Catherine Ashenfelten's story as it is downloadable from The Grace Charity for ME. Catherine is a trustee of the charity and Bishop Cray, Ann WIddecombe MP and Jen Rees Larcombe (who also experienced a healing from severe ME in 1989) are patrons..

Here tis: http://www.thegracecharityforme.org/about.asp

C.G.

13. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    oh dear. I hadn't realised the Grace Charity had a religious input/backing.:(

barbc56 likes this.
  14. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    @maryb

There would be zero chance of her being filmed dancing during a service for all sorts of reasons.. Of course that had to be set up later.

There are cases of Christians being healed of ME. But of course it could be a natural phenomena. There are miraculous reversals in many conditions. I prefer to keep an open mind and do not agree with using these cases for evangelising purposes because of this possibility. Most Christians with ME are not healed.

As for alcoholics and drug addicts, that's old hat. Many are delivered from their addictions in an instant. AA was set up by Christians for the same purpose. Its not rocket science. If you believe that God can deliver you, it happens. It is not the same thing as healing from a physical illness.

Countrygirl likes this.
  15. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    An alternative view of the same thing was proposed by Marx, several decades ago -
    Religion is the opiate of the people.

The "moment of damascus" that is required for an addict to give up can be a religious one, or just a shifting from the belief that they need the drug and that going without it will do them harm, to one of they finally believe the drug is harmful and that to get better they need to stop it.

Addicts are deluded that the drug is beneficial, despite the evidence to the contrary. It has much in common with religion.
    A belief, with no supporting evidence and much to the contrary.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    barbc56, Valentijn and Iquitos like this.
  16. Ambrosia_angel

England
    That's amazing. I'm not religious but I one hundred percent believe this. Whether its the amazing power of a placebo or some sort of unseen power, at the end of the day someone has recovered. Placebos can truely be amazing (if it is that).

Cheesus and Countrygirl like this.
  17. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    peggy sue said "A belief, with no supporting evidence and much to the contary" - just like atheism in fact.

Indigophoton and Countrygirl like this.
  18. wdb

wdb Admin

London
    Funny how it's always conditions that are known to sometimes improve without intervention, show me the amputees that have been cured by faith.

Dainty, barbc56, SOC and 5 others like this.
  19. Ambrosia_angel

England
    I wouldn't call someone being an amputee a "condition". You can be a perfectly healthy amputee.

Countrygirl likes this.
  20. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Yeah, that's why we have the agnostic option. I don't know, and I don't really care. I'd rather focus on living a pleasant and compassionate life, and figure out the afterlife when I get to it.

PennyIA, barbc56, xchocoholic and 5 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.