May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Secretory immunoglobulin A (sIgA) deficiency inserum of patients with GALTectomy (appendectomy and t

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by globalpilot, May 21, 2012.

1. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1521661607000381.

THis paper explains that tonsilectomy (sp?) reduces secretory IgA significantly for 20 years. This would be very significant for those of us who have had these procedure. You would be much more susceptible to infection in all of your mucosal linings. I had mine removed unfortunately. It sure could set one up for all manner of overgrowths in the gut.

2. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I had my tonsils removed when I was a kid and then my appendix as an adult. I am screwed! :)

A recent Metametrix GI Effects Profile did show an overgrowth of Morganella morganii in my gut...

3. globalpilot

Ontario
    I'm sorry to hear this nanonug but remember, the effects of the appendix removal only last up to 3 years and the tonsil removal for 20 years. I think maybe the issue might become that microbes in the meantime may become entrenched in the mucosal linings.

I had my tonsils out about 35 years ago.

4. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    So, are you saying that after a certain amount of time, both tonsils and appendix reappear?

In my case, my gut issues started a few years after tonsillectomy...

5. globalpilot

Ontario
    Well no, although that would be nice. :)
    The paper says the impact on secretory IgA lasts for 3 and 20 years.
    Ahhh, how interesting. Same here.

See more popular forum discussions.