• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seborrheic Dermatitis

Daffodil

hi all. I am on abx and vsl-3 and now my t zone on my face is horrid. its either flaky or bright red. I am embarrassed going outside. I don't have any makeup (never wore it) but maybe I will have to buy something now. i know its sebhorreic dermatitis cuz i used to have it on my scalp since childhood but its now under control there with loprox shampoo. its caused by fungus overgrowth on the skin. i also had middle ear fungus all through childhood and this was misdiagnosed by my small town doc and i just kept being given abx all the time.

does anyone know what might help? clearly, the vsl-3 hardcore probiotic isn't helping. i have cut down enormously on cane sugar....i am trying apple cider vinegar which is anti fungal but i don't think its doing anything. the flaking may be a little less, but the skin is still bright red. oh man this looks awful.

does anyone else here have this? i think it is autoimmune....so it looks like i had some autoimmune problem all along, even before the CFS....

thanks
xoxoxo

SOC

I realize this may be too small a thing at this point, but Dr Lerner suggested washing skin prone to fungus overgrowth once or twice a day with Dial brand soap. He said it works significantly better than other brands. I had that problem when I was at my sickest and the Dial soap did help.

Tito

Something that works on me is RAW honey. Yes, it must be raw because heat destroys enzymes.
At the beginning I applied Manuka RAW honey on my face for 3 hours every other day, then little by little I moved to every three days and so on. The advantage is that it does not cause side effects such as with Fluconazole. The honey is relatively expensive but compared to all the drugs we buy, it's not that much.
Anything acidic such as vinegar tends to worsen the condition. A good starting point is something that reduces inflammation such as honey. In my view you have little to loose with honey.

caledonia

I had this for a couple years on my eyelids and inside my ears. Aloe vera gel helped when applied to the skin. Once I started taking vitamin C, it just went away on it's own.

In general, if you have fungus on your skin you may have leaky gut - in which case you need to do a 4R gut rebuilding program to fix that.

Daffodil

hi all. thanks for the suggestions! you are right about the vinegar.. it did help my scalp a little, but is clearly irritating to the skin. I will try raw honey..i never heard that one before!

I am on a gut regimen now but am having a lot of trouble changing my diet. have a long way to go yet.

but it has never been this bad on my face before. I had a tiny bit but never like this...it is moving to the sides of my mouth ....blah!