• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seasonal affective disorder?

Tammy

Every year during the fall and winter months my mood goes to an all time low..........I don't know if it is associated with S.A.D. or not but every year I tell myself I'm going to try D3 starting in August to see if that could help but I always forget. Has anyone tried anything that helps?

Hip

I also have seasonal affective disorder (SAD), but it actually became less severe once I developed ME/CFS, for some reason.

I have my own homemade light box, which I use in winter.

To be effective at treating SAD, a light box has to be able to create a light level of around 10,000 lux, when measured at a distance of around 50 cm from the box (obviously the further you are away from the box, the more the light level will drop; but 50 cm is a typical distance for placing the box in front of you).

I place my light box just to the side of the computer screen, so that the light starts working on me as I use my computer.

I'd recommend buying a cheap lux meter, which you can find on eBay for around $10 to $20. It's handy to have a meter, because you can then double check that the light level at eye position is around 10,000 lux. As mentioned, if you move further away from the light box, lux levels will fall.

Last edited: