August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Seasonal affective disorder?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Tammy, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Every year during the fall and winter months my mood goes to an all time low..........I don't know if it is associated with S.A.D. or not but every year I tell myself I'm going to try D3 starting in August to see if that could help but I always forget. Has anyone tried anything that helps?

merylg likes this.
  2. maddietod

maddietod Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I bought an Apollo light box years ago, and I still pull it out in the winter. It just makes everything feel easier.

3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I also have seasonal affective disorder (SAD), but it actually became less severe once I developed ME/CFS, for some reason.

I have my own homemade light box, which I use in winter.

To be effective at treating SAD, a light box has to be able to create a light level of around 10,000 lux, when measured at a distance of around 50 cm from the box (obviously the further you are away from the box, the more the light level will drop; but 50 cm is a typical distance for placing the box in front of you).

I place my light box just to the side of the computer screen, so that the light starts working on me as I use my computer.

I'd recommend buying a cheap lux meter, which you can find on eBay for around $10 to $20. It's handy to have a meter, because you can then double check that the light level at eye position is around 10,000 lux. As mentioned, if you move further away from the light box, lux levels will fall.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    merylg and Tammy like this.
  4. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    I have a light box too which I really like. It helps my mood quite a bit. 10,000 lux definitely.

Tammy and merylg like this.
  5. digital dog

digital dog Senior Member

You can get alarms/bulbs which slowly come on in the morning. Perhaps they will help.

Tammy likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.