• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Screening for Adult ADHD in Patients with Fibromyalgia Syndrome.

Murph

:)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29099955

Screening for Adult ADHD in Patients with Fibromyalgia Syndrome.
van Rensburg R1, Meyer HP1, Hitchcock SA1, Schuler CE2.
Author information
Abstract

Objective:
Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is a common chronic pain disorder associated with altered activity of neurotransmitters involved in pain sensitivity such as dopamine, serotonin, and noradrenaline. FMS may significantly impact an individual's functioning due to the presence of chronic pain, fatigue, and cognitive impairment. Dyscognition may be more disabling than the chronic pain but is mostly under-recognized. This study aimed to assess the potential co-occurrence of FMS and adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), a chronic neurodevelopmental disorder also associated with impaired cognition and dopaminergic function.

Methods:
In a cross-sectional observational study, 123 previously confirmed FMS patients were screened for adult ADHD using the World Health Organization Adult ADHD Self Report scale v1.1. The Revised Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ-R) was used to assess the impact of FMS. Cognitive assessment was based on self-report in accordance with the 2011 modified American College of Rheumatology criteria and the FIQ-R, respectively.

Results:
Of the 123 participants, 44.72% (N = 55) screened positive for adult ADHD. Participants with both FMS and a positive adult ADHD screening test scored higher on the FIQ-R score (64.74, SD = 17.66, vs 54.10, SD = 17.10). Self-reported cognitive impairment was rated higher in the combined group (odds ratio = 10.61, 95% confidence interval; 3.77-29.86, P < 0.01).

Conclusions:
These results indicate that the co-occurrence of adult ADHD in FMS may be highly prevalent and may also significantly impact the morbidity of FMS. Patients with FMS should be assessed for the presence of adult ADHD.

Murph

:)
Someone I know was describing ADHD the other day and I felt quite sure the same symptoms apply to me! spoke to a couple of doctors about it but one was dismissive and the other pointed out you need to get an expensive shrink in to get ritalin in Australia.

SilverbladeTE

"Self reporting"...HEY, where are the blood, gene, hormone or other genuine measureable evidence, hm?
ADHD...if genuine, has to be biological, if so it has to have some quantifiable biological markers.

this maybe genuine research, but every time I hear stuff like this I think:

a) is it part of the psychs fight back to protect themselves from criminal prosecution for fraud, denial of medical treatment and thus murder
they are desperately putting up a "smoke screen" to avoid the truth getting out and they and their corporate/government backers being prosecuted

b) excuse to sell more psychiatric drugs to people who don't need them for kickbacks because a large chunk of psychiatry is a criminal fraud that makes fortunes for the drug companies and corrupt doctors