The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Scientists want to train kids to be bulls**t detectors regarding health claims

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by CFS_for_19_years, Oct 7, 2016.

1. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Our world is awash in bullshit health claims. These scientists want to train kids to spot them.
    http://www.vox.com/2016/10/6/13079754/teaching-critical-thinking-schools-health-claims

Soul Creator, Woolie, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    First reaction to seeing Cochrane and 'bullshit detectors' in the same sentence was a snort of derision.

Second reaction was 'what do we know about Iain Chalmers?'. He's a 'Sir', never a good sign of course. If I ever knew something about him, I've forgotten. But I'm sure plenty of people here will know lots.

Is there any chance of putting the facts of PACE in front of him and getting him to push for an update to the Cochrane views on GET in the manner of the AHRQ? A change in the Cochrane recommendation would be enormously influential.

(I fully expect to be informed that Iain and Simon have family holidays together or something...)

ETA:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...c-misconduct-chalmers-1990.21379/#post-326203
    An old thread discussing Chalmers' papers calling for research transparency

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    ahmo, L'engle, helen1 and 3 others like this.
  3. Skippa

Skippa Senior Member

Damn, reminds me of something like the Hitler youth, reporting their own parents for being deviants.

natasa778, Dufresne, Woolie and 6 others like this.
  4. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

Gotta make sure that no one questions big pharma's monopoly over health care.

dannybex, ebethc, natasa778 and 6 others like this.
  5. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

Hell...Hath...No...Fury.. Senior Member

UK
    Yeah my first thoughts were the children spy's in Orwell's 1984

ahmo, flybro and CFS_for_19_years like this.
  6. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

if it were only so simple (anecdotal evidence = bad, large trial = good)

According to this we must not believe that GET is harmful and must believe that CBT is effective.

The bible of health bullshit detection
    One of the indispensable readings for anyone interested in evidence-based medicine isTesting Treatments(downloadable for free)

I think I will skip this one.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    natasa778, ahmo, flybro and 4 others like this.
  7. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    On the positive side, I think a well taught critical thinking course in schools is a brilliant idea.

And seriously, has anyone got the energy to put together all the documentation on the PACE debacle and ask him to practice what he preaches? (I'm not volunteering).

barbc56, TrixieStix, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  8. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
    In theory it is a great idea to teach children to detect bullshit. Now that information is available so easily there is little point teaching kids to memorise stuff, what they need are tools to sort through all the information.

However, who decides what is bullshit? The questioning needs to be deeper than is indicated here. They need to learn to detect vested interests. There are times when anecdotal evidence is more reliable than big data, depending on who is presenting the information. Evidence based medicine isn't immune to problems.

natasa778, L'engle, flybro and 4 others like this.
  9. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    First thing that popped into my mind was:

CryptoKids.png

Woolie likes this.
  10. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    well if they taught them to detect the bull-shitters, children would become revolutionaries :)

11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Good luck with that...

flybro likes this.
  12. Dufresne

Dufresne almost there...

Montreal
    Great! So now are kids can take a trip over to SBM and come back and tell us that chronic Lyme doesn't exist, our chemical and electrical sensitivities are all in our heads, only a drug can cure a disease, and we should take an SSRI and give CBT a try.

Skippa, flybro and natasa778 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.