Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Scientists identify new, beneficial function of endogenous retroviruses in immune response

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    This is some new research that demonstrates that endogenous retroviruses (in mice) play an integral, active and positive role in the immune system (in mice at least) specifically to stimulate B cells to make antibodies in some circumstances.

This is purely my own speculation, but my thinking is that perhaps if these particular ERVs are over-active, or over-expressed, for whatever reason, then they might over-stimulate B cells to produce too many antibodies. And in such a circumstance, perhaps anti-retrovirals might suppress their expression.

So this might be of interest in anyone who is interested in HERVs, and the potential of anti-retro-virals to suppress HERVs and to treat ME/CFS. And it might be of general interest for anyone interested in the immune system.

As far as my understanding goes the ERVs are active against polysaccharides, and so stimulate antigens to polysaccharides rather than to proteins.

News Article:
    Scientists identify new, beneficial function of endogenous retroviruses in immune response
    December 18, 2014
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141218141057.htm

Another News Article:
    Repurposed Retroviruses - B cells have commandeered ancient viral sequences in the genome to transmit antigen signals.
    By Ruth Williams | December 18, 2014
    http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/41707/title/Repurposed-Retroviruses/

Research Paper:
    MAVS, cGAS, and endogenous retroviruses in T-independent B cell responses
    Ming Zeng et al.
    19 December 2014
    Science
    Vol. 346 no. 6216 pp. 1486-1492
    DOI: 10.1126/science.346.6216.1486
    http://www.sciencemag.org/content/346/6216/1486.abstract

Simon, NK17, beaker and 5 others like this.
  2. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Interesting because I have wondered for a while if ERVs might have some sort of purposeful role, though I always thought it might be more viral focused.

merylg and Bob like this.
  3. boohealth

boohealth Senior Member

south
    Thanks, Bob. Balance is key.

Bob likes this.
  4. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

Could easily be behind the observed lowered risk of Multiple Sclerosis in HIV+ on HAART

While not clear if this is due to some effect of HIV itself on the immune system, or the effect of HAART therapy (since records are messy: "...We have had to make reasonable assumptions about the likelihood of our exposed HIV cohort being treated with cART during the period of observation") the authors speculate:

NK17, garcia, cigana and 1 other person like this.
  5. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

This is also super interesting:

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/10/1164.full

btw they also mention

NK17, garcia and boohealth like this.
  6. boohealth

boohealth Senior Member

south
    That is very interesting, thx.

7. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

While they're at it why don't they mention that HERV-W is active during formation of the placenta? The problem is less that these ERVs exist than that they are active during a variety of disease states. It seems fairly straightforward to see what happens if this activity is suppressed, but strangely this has been very slow to happen.

See more popular forum discussions.