Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Scientists identify interferon beta as likely culprit in persistent viral infections

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, May 15, 2015.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Discussion about interferon beta acting as an immune suppressant rather than an immune stimulant, and the potential to inhibit it to treat persistent viral infections. In relation to ME, I guess it raises the question of whether we have an over active immune system or a suppressed immune system or both.

Scientists identify interferon beta as likely culprit in persistent viral infections

May 13, 2015
    Scripps Research Institute

Read more:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150513124930.htm

Research paper:
    Blockade of Interferon Beta, but Not Interferon Alpha, Signaling Controls Persistent Viral Infection.
    Ng CT et al.
    Cell Host & Microbe
    May 2015
    DOI: 10.1016/j.chom.2015.04.005

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Did they only test this theory on the one type of viral infection? I would be very surprised if this applied widely to other viruses. There seems to be a lot of evidence that IFN-β is protective in enterovirus infections and can clear persistent infection.

oceiv and Bob like this.
  3. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Mine have been low in every test (extremely low ) was the official result.

See more popular forum discussions.